Free vs Paid plugins

Discussion in 'Spigot Discussion' started by buildblox, Jan 13, 2017.

?

Free or Paid plugins

Poll closed Jan 23, 2017.
  1. Free

49 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. Paid

60 vote(s)
    50.4%
  3. Paid additions/addons?

10 vote(s)
    8.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think paying a plugin is the best way to thank the developer.

2. MiniDigger

Supporter

you can thank most developers by donating them. you don't need to buy a plugin to say thank you to a developer, you can say thank you to free and open source plugins too

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Yes

4. There are many free and better alternatives to quite a few paid plugins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Not always..

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. True. Maxim's QAPlugin, for example.

7. Or clip's ezrankspro

8. The same could be said for the other way around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. As someone who is currently developing a paid plugin, I'll put in some input.
    Open source, free plugins are awesome. It's a great way to find good simple resources. A lot of premium plugins don't have nearly as much effort into them as I think they really should have to be considered at that level, and free alternatives are amazing, but here's the difference. With free plugins, the developer is not gaining anything by writing. Therefore, you can't depend on support, new features, or compatibility updates. I've stopped maintaining a lot of older plugins because they just aren't used that much (according to MCStats, which I guess is now about as reliable as your typical knock-off electronics). I don't have a reason to maintain them. With premium plugins, we are getting something back from our work, meaning we will take the time to fix any issues and issue updates as fast as we can.

To give an idea about how much work I feel should go into a paid resource, the project I'm working on is only about 70% complete, and it's already at a whopping 274 kb uncompiled and without dependencies, which, for pure-text, is pretty large.

10. Yeah...

11. MiniDigger

Supporter

274kb of sources? sounds like much.
    oooh wait:
    [​IMG]
    and thats a free and open source plugin, that isn't even near finished.
    since file size is a stupid metric, let me give you a better one:
    those are 179 source files with 8189 source lines and 3163 comments line (plus 1987 blank lines)

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Praya

Benefactor

in my plugin, the premium version just 1 step version from the free version. because i think with this way, you can see people that really want do help without having to force that does not buy.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. I prefer paid plugins because I think that the developers try to make really good plugins. They spent much time in it (hopefully).

14. Gotta admit, that's impressive, but I don't have that kind of time. LOL. What I'm doing is a lot for the time that I have to spend on it, and I feel that what I'm making is very high quality (the most important part of all). That's what defines a premium plugin in my mind. It's a plugin that is a large amount of high quality work. That doesn't mean a free one can't fit that description, and we all know that.

15. Neither you can expect support, bugfixes or updates at premium plugins.

When buying a premium plugin, you're buying the plugin as it is. Not what it might be at some time in the future.

After a while without support or updates a premium plugin might be removed, but there is no way to get any money back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Is also wIth donating lol

17. To the people who reached out to me saying my poll options aren't exactly suitable for the overall picture: I am aware that it is very black and white. This encourages discussion beyond the poll options, as it is evident through the responses.

18. Paid plugins

- Mostly better support
    - Not everybody have the same plugin like you
    - Sometimes better quality
    - Not really expensive

Free plugins

- Yes, what sould i say:p
    - They are free
    - There are some nice out there
    - Community

19. jflory7

Retired Benefactor

I've scrolled this thread a bit, but didn't see anyone share my point of view (although some were close).

But what is most important for me is whether or not the plugin is open source. In my more active days in the community, I have seen too many works by people who program inefficiently and sometimes have little to no practical experience. My trust in whether or not I will use a plugin is determined by going through the source code and passing a few checks to make sure this is something I will want to trust my server infrastructure too. If a plugin does not have any source code available, it's extremely unlikely for me to ever consider using it.

However, just because a plugin is open source does not mean that one can't charge money for it. I have always admired drtshock for his way of selling some of his plugins, where the source code is free, but he sells copies of it in a pre-compiled binary in the resources section. While it is possible for people to download the source code and compile it themselves, I think that the convenience of purchasing the executable binary (i.e. the JAR) and receiving support are the big draws to paying for it versus compiling it yourself.

Ultimately, the argument that you are paying for higher quality work with premium resources is invalid unless you are actually able to read and review the source code. When I was more active, I would occasionally review and decompile some pending premium resources that authors submitted, and whether or not the code is actually of a premium quality is a shot in the dark. Sometimes you get quality, other times, you're getting something that is written by someone with little practical experience, but they're persuasive or just offer good support to compensate for their poor code. Additionally, having the plugin open source allows me, the server owner and consumer, to review the code and also make improvements if I wish (which I have done many times for countless plugins I use for my own server). This kind of situation is common even outside of the Minecraft community. With proprietary work, you have no idea what you're actually paying for unless you see the code.

And like others have mentioned in the thread, open source work is the backbone of the Minecraft server community and has helped make it what it is today. Countless plugins that define the Minecraft server experience (Essentials(X), WorldEdit, WorldGuard, NoCheatPlus, and plenty more) are open source and are some of the most widely used plugins. Even the server software that makes it all possible is open source too. And for all of the reasons explained above and more, this is why I will rarely, if ever, use a plugin where I cannot view the source code before downloading and executing it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. jflory7

Retired Benefactor

Now that I'm older and have an income of my own, I go out of my way to donate to plugins that are open source and continue to release updates supporting the community. It wasn't something I was able to do as a teenager, but now I fully support providing a little bit of extra pizza / coffee funds to the people who work tirelessly and sometimes thanklessly to create some of the most valuable plugins without ever expecting to receive a dime in return.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.