Gameseer, a new Administration Panel

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by SirSavary, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Update
    In the process of writing install scripts for popular Linux distros right now. Debian and Ubuntu are done, Redhat and CentOS to follow. Will build the Windows installer after the scripts are done.

Edit: Redhat and CentOS are done. If any of the scripts do not work, please post the error and which script you used.

#561 SirSavary, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Affixes

Supporter

3. Thank you kindly but it's only going to get tougher from here. Now I have a mountain of bugs to fix :)

4. Teg

Teg
    Supporter

5. Whoops, looks like I had MySQL as the default storage engine. This has been fixed now, go ahead and redownload Gameseer http://gameseer.net/latest. Replace all the files and run the start command, no need to install dependencies (unless you delete the Gameseer folder and then unzip).

Update
    Gameseer version 0.3.1 has been uploaded. Fixes MySQL being the default storage engine and the settings file being minified.

6. Couchbase is 100MB -.-

Downloading now, I'll let you know if i find anything :D

7. Nice to see new build, but I can't get it working. Installed fine, set bind-ip to 0.0.0.0 and changed port, but:
    • I can connect only using ip, not domain
    • Unless domain under webserver is set to host's ip, all I get is plain text (all links seem to have whatever's set as domain in their base, so if left to localhost, it's localhost:[port]/page)
    • How do I manage accounts? (both profile and settings links are not working)
    • Network tab redirects to login, but then ends with ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS
    I suppose it's some mistake on my side, but I have no idea where :(

8. :/

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I must say I am dissapointed @SirSavary. You promised too much, and released way to early.

Currently you only have a clumsy wrapper around servers. The only feature it has that you don't have in a terminal is buttons with "start", "stop", "restart" and "reload" instead of typing the commands. Gameseer is next to no competition for the other panels. It will take a good portion of time before this is even worth downloading. The fact you have to install memcached to show run this panel, which basically is just a server console in a webpage, doesn't make it better. I do understand that you have done a lot of backend work for 0.3, but the fact that you didn't even implement something that shows online players kills all my exitement for this.

You have made a feature-less panel with an okay design, and hopefully a good backend. I think you should have kept this private until you at least had the features you can expect from a panel ready. I regret i donated $10, but I wont try to get them back.

TL;DR: You should have waited a long time before announcing this, or at least before releasing beta/alpha builds.

Note:
    I choose to take the position as the "negative guy" in this thread, because everyone seems to be overly positive about this.

#569 totokaka, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. There always has to be one ;)

11. Yes. And it's good for the final product. I want it to be clear that even though I've become negative to this, I can still be a part of reasoned discussions. I am not a hater.

12. Teg

Teg
    Supporter

13. It is large and I don't recommended it for the average user. Might be a better option for hosts with many users accessing it.

I forgot to mention the domain part. You want bindaddress set to '0.0.0.0' to bind to all network ports or 'localhost' to be accessible only locally. Anything related to domain settings (there should be two, one under socketIO and one under webserver) will need to be changed to whatever domain you would like to use to access Gameseer.

The error you have, "cannot find module 'MODULE_NAME'" means that a Gameseer dependency is missing. This is caused by two things:
    • Not installing dependencies (or alternatively, removing them). Dependencies are stored in the node_modules folder. You must install them using the command 'npm install'. NPM stands for 'Node Package Manager' and is used to manage dependencies for NodeJS projects.
    • Outdated dependencies. In future versions I may add new dependencies which will need to be installed. In this case you would see this error even though you have run 'npm install' in the past. If this is the case, running 'npm install' will fix the issue.
    So, in short, run 'npm install' from your Gameseer directory to fix the issue.

I'm aware that Gameseer is fairly useless right now. After discovering that barely any of the unit tests were passing I was a little let down as they were passing just fine only a couple days earlier. I was hoping to announce a delay of 2-3 weeks but ended up with a flood (I'm talking hundreds) of people contacting me through just about every method possible, even some that I don't post publicly. After sorting through Skype notifications, emails, private messages, text messages, phone calls and voicemails I decided my best bet was to push a _working_ build of Gameseer so people could toy around with it.

I'm 100% confident that it was dissapointing for anyone who's been following Gameseer's development from the start; most of the newbies are pleased however. That aside, I'll address the other points you've made.

"Gameseer is next to no competition for the other panels"
    I'm 100% aware of this and don't expect it to be for production ready for a long time. Gameseer was originally intended to be something for my own server, never to be released publicly. After a bit of pressure from a few people, I made this thread expecting it to die quickly. Early on I was a bit in over my head as my NodeJS knowledge was still fairly weak. I've greatly expanded my knowledge now and I'm fully confident that I'll be able to shape and evolve Gameseer into a panel to fight with the others who currently have a stranglehold on the market.

"The fact you have to install memcached to show run this panel, which basically is just a server console in a webpage, doesn't make it better"
    The memcached requirement was due to the session caches for MariaDB, Postgre, and SQLite failing tests. I wanted to fix those but I couldn't tolerate the social bombardment, see first paragraph.

"I do understand that you have done a lot of backend work for 0.3, but the fact that you didn't even implement something that shows online players kills all my excitement for this"

JSONAPI was one of the few things that didn't fail a unit test, mostly because it flat out didn't work. The developer of it has been incredibly evasive and I spent days trying to reverse engineer the Java source and get it working. I'm going to keep pushing though, JSONAPI is integral to Gameseer. Using the built in Query mechanism is not an option and will only be used as a fallback.

"I think you should have kept this private until you at least had the features you can expect from a panel ready."
    See my reply to point #1.

"TL;DR: You should have waited a long time before announcing this, or at least before releasing beta/alpha builds."
    I would have liked to release Gameseer when it was near completion but even the first build was a result of pressure from the many people who wanted a panel alternative.

Critiscsm, both positive and negative, is very important. I've read each and every post in this thread and I appreciate every one, especially @totokaka's post. Negative posts that are well thought out and contain valid points keep me grounded, just like many other developers, inventors, and innovators. Without posts like that it's very easy to get lost in your own idea and become close-minded.

The error code 'EADDRINUSE' means "Error, Address in use". This means there is another program that is using a port that Gameseer is trying to use. If you are using the default port (80) check and see if a webserver is running on your machine. Also make sure that you are not trying to run two instances of Gameseer at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. I am glad you took my critisism seriously, and showed that you understood it. I will check back on this project in a couple of months, and see where you are then.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hi. Developer of JSONAPI here. I'm not evasive. JSONAPI is open source on GitHub. I'm very responsive to tickets for the most part and development is always ongoing (note the near 600 commits). There is a node.js SDK and plenty of documentation on how to write your own SDK available on the website. There is documentation for each API method and there is collaborative information on the GitHub wiki that covers things like config.yml and the currently available streams.

However, if that isn't enough information feel free to ask questions--no reverse engineering required :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Ah, excellent! I found the source on Github, that's where I reverse engineering it from. The reason I said you were evasive was when I tried to contact you via DevBukkit, sorry for painting you in a bad light. I'll take another crack at getting the JSONAPI stuff working and if I can't, I'll post a ticket on Github (as long as that is how you want to be contacted).

17. Meh, just did npm install but didn't work.

18. Yeah I tried the Ubuntu.sh but I must have done something wrong since it didn't work. I'll try the manual install another day.

19. Got it working on localhost now, slow as fk. loading the page took about 2 mins o.o
    when is the cloud version coming?

20. Was is a PM or a comment on the project page? Either way I don't have JSONAPI on DevBukkit anymore because it was absolutely impossible to keep track of requests/issues and the rules were ridiculous to keep up with.