Get Factions Source Code

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by bmac20, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Hello I want to make an enchantment addon for factions, but dont make to make a separate plugin. I've never done this before but is there a way I could get the whole code for massivecore and just modify the source code?

2. But I want the whole code not just the API.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Decompile it and copy it into your own project

Not suggested though as this wouldn't work through version changes etc... just make another plugin that uses their API

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The API is pretty powerful I agree that is one big complicated program and the source code isn't super easy to navigate for a beginner.

You don't even need to decompile it though their source is available on their GitHub page

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  5. When the plugin is open source, and you decompile? The heck.

Fork it. And clone it. Using git. Boom you have the project.

GitHub: ^^

6. Didn't realise it was open source, regardless have a solution for all plugins rather than some.

7. That thinking is rather wrong.

Well, when a plugin is not open source, the developer mostly don't want you to view the code (often all rights reserved by default). I often respect that. However, I do not see any wrongdoing in it if it is for your own learning.

I always ask everyone to respect the choice of the developer to keep the source not open to the public.

But yeah you can use any can use IntelliJ's built in decompiler (JD-GUI, you can also download this standalone just google it).

8. I would argue that compiling from source is far better than decompiling a plugin because often decompilers will make assumptions and sometimes fail to properly/accurately decode all methods. This can lead to bugs not present in the original plugin and it is up to you to find them.

Compiling from source code does not have these issues.

9. I'm not disagreeing with you, but I have to point out that Java is one of the few compiled (or interpreted, depending on how you look at it) languages that decompiles very cleanly, assuming no obfuscation techniques.