Getting normal vector of the surface of collision

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by bielsr, Jul 3, 2015.

1. How can i get the normal vector of the surface of a projectile collision (on the ProjectileHitEvent).
    For example if a snowball collides with a block from the top the resulting vector would be (0, 1, 0). From the north face it would be (1, 0, 0) and so on.
    I want to use this information to make realistic physics effects, I know how to do the rest but I got stuck here. Any help would be very much appreciated :D

Thanks in advance!

2. sothatsit

Patron

Get the arrows location in relation to the block. Simplify it to either 1, 0 or -1. Loop through BlockFace's until you found one that matches your x, y and z.

3. Thanks @sothatsit , I'll try thar right now. By the way, what do you mean by "simplifying"? Rounding with Math.Round(..)?

4. sothatsit

Patron

If it's positive, set it to 1, if its negative set it to -1, if its 0, leave it as 0.

Also, that needs to be difference in Block coordinates! Use Math.floor on everything first, before getting the 1, 0 or -1

5. In 3 dimensions you will need another vector to find your normal. You can then take the crosss product of the 2 to get your normal.

6. I follow the trajectory of the projectile. You can get the position at any tick. I would not recommend this way as the first posters idea seems reasonable. just throwing my two cents in lol.