Solved Getting User Who Downloads Your Premium Plugin

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by Kloudy, May 18, 2016.

1. Hey all,

kept seeing people mention something about a placeholder you can put into a string in your plugin that contains the user who downloaded the plugin. The placeholder is "%__USER__%" or something like that. I tried to find more information on the topic, but surprisingly there is little to no thread that I could find that really talks about how it's supposed to be used.

Does anyone know how to use this? Thanks!

#1 Kloudy, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  2. You can pretend piracy in online ways, you can check for a serial key online or other things. I dont know another way, sorry

#3 Kloudy, May 18, 2016
  4. The tricky part about doing some anti piracy checks is that you have to find a way to do it despite the user being able to change the code because it is not very hard to decompile and plugin, remove your check and recompile. Of course you can do you best to make this task more challenging by obfuscating your code and hiding it but I don't think anyone has found a sure technique yet. So even if you manage to get some sort of key that plugin users need keep in mind that the check could potentially be removed all together.

5. You're 100% right. However my philosophy on the matter would be, obfuscate the code and make it annoying to crack. And if it gets cracked, oh well. Maybe in the meantime the anti-piracy protection got a few people to buy the plugin that maybe otherwise wouldn't.

#5 Kloudy, May 18, 2016
  6. Here is a post you may find interesting/helpful. https://www.spigotmc.org/threads/spigot-api-for-premium-plugins.105530/#post-1146426 I think it is what you were referring to in your original post with the %%__USER__%%.

• Winner Winner x 1