Good changelog template? Is a changelog worth it?

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by DavidDevelops, Jun 26, 2018.

1. DavidDevelops

Supporter

2. Not worth it.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. DavidDevelops

Supporter

I'd expected a little more of a reason than just "Not worth it" But thanks...

4. clip

Benefactor

I definitely think it's worth it. For my open source plugins I have been using Jenkins to generate the change log notes which allows me to reference every commit as well as the link to each commit. Maybe just use something like that? Saves a bunch of time and all you have to do is copy and paste..

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Its worth it it looks amazing.

6. DavidDevelops

Supporter

Ill look into it, i don't use git to often not sure how firmly i am, But ill figure it out
    Thanks you, anything i should add or change by chance?

7. Sinclare

Sinclare Previously xSinclare

A changelog is definitely worth it. When the owners on the server I previously worked for started doing them, the community exponentially died down on how much they said the owners didn't do anything. The changelog format can be whatever you want. Just at the end of the day, it's just a changelog and the community should easily be able to identify the changes and such. And your changelog looks good anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Personally, I use a Discord server as a replacement for a website, it's free, can still be professional and extremely easy to maintain.

I've had a public change-log since day 1.
    Of course, if you have a change log you don't need to list exact numbers when changing values but just letting people know that changes are being made is a good idea for several reason and worth the 30 seconds it takes to write a brief description of the change you are making.

https://imgur.com/LV4ts23.gif

TLDR:
    Yes, a change log is worth it. The investment of typing out a brief description of a change can save you countless hours of explaining stuff to people regarding recent changes to your server.

#8 MadWookie, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Sinclare

Sinclare Previously xSinclare

Discord is actually how we got out changelogs on a larger scale out to the community! We set up a RSS feed in the changelog channel and whenever a new changelog is posted, it sends out an announcement for users to read new updates. The reading rate of our changelogs went up significantly as you can see here with changelogs within the past 2 months: https://i.imgur.com/s4bzqKr.gifv

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. DavidDevelops

Supporter

Thanks all for the feedback by the looks of it a changelog is a good idea and ill keep it updated all the time, Thanks guys! *Not locking the thread as someone may want to put more input*