Good cpu for this?

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by ToonBasic, May 11, 2015.

1. Hi! Just wondering what X series cpu would be good for minecraft as I will be running multiple instances across bungee and I do not wanna buy a nice E5 and waste money if the minigames server doesn't become successful.

Please recommend me a good X series from a host for a nice price. Thanks!

Requirements:
    At least a 100mb connection with a minimum of 10tb bandwidth
    Minimum of 24Gb of ram
    Recommended disk space: Minimum 250gb

2. Do you want a dedi? that's what it sounds like I would check ovh.com.

#2 sleepipanda, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. as far as I am aware of, OVH doesn't sell X series cpus. Along with that, yes I am looking for a dedi.

4. www.soyoustart.com its a OVH brand.

5. Tux

Tux

What is the "X series" CPU you're talking about?

6. Any X series specifically good for Minecraft servers as I will be making bungeed minigames.

7. Tux

Tux

You still have not clarified. I will suggest a E3-1245v2 to start off, though.

8. Psychz-Jimmy

Supporter

Never heard of an "X Series" CPU... Do you mean Xeons?

9. Yes Xeon X Series cpu sorry should of fixed my wording

10. Psychz-Jimmy

Supporter

So like an E3?

11. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

I think he means the X5500 or X5600 CPUs. The letter in front (L, E, or X) typically defines the power usage of the CPU and not the actual performance. They stopped using that method with the newer generation CPUs.

Stick with the Haswell based CPUs, those are the best for Minecraft. The old X5600s and X5500s will yield very poor results as they offer horrible single threaded performance.

12. Hey, I needed some advice too. I'm stuch whether to get Intel Xeon 1245v2(4c/8t) or 1225v2 (4c/4t). Performance wise will it make much of a different.

How much of a difference will it make 1-10?

#13 Adnan_, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
  13. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

Which generation is the 1225 (V1, V2, or V3)?

14. Tux

Tux

Seeing as he's using the OVH nomenclature, it's likely v2.

15. Sorry missed that out, it's a v2

16. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

The 1245 V2 will be roughly 10% faster in single threaded performance.

17. Psychz-Jimmy

Supporter

18. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

That's a great resource, although the high end CPUs list isn't the one that benefits Minecraft servers. Minecraft primarily utilizes a single core on a CPU, so the single threaded performance is what's important.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html < This is the one you want to reference, but remember that it's not 100% accurate, but a great reference point for a rough comparison.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Yeah I'll go for the 1225 if it is only 10% faster, would I even notice a difference ? I run a Minecraft at peak of 30 no world borders or clearlagg/entity clearer.