Good php guides?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Blackfatrat, May 29, 2015.

1. Hello so i've been pretty intressted with website coding for some time now but i havent really had the time to learn it yet because of school however as school is at its last week for me now i thougth this would be a good oppertunity to learn php.
    I would really appreciate it if you guys could link me some good guides for php that go very indepth and explain every single thing about php.
    Oh and how diffrent is php from java?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. *waits for people to say PHP is crap, use node.js, Perl or Ruby*

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Thanks for the help.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Tux

Tux

>php
    >good

I suggest trying out Python instead.

Did I ruin your parade?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Any reasons to why Python would be a better option to learn? (i have never really heard about Python)

6. Tux

Tux

Python is very easy to learn and is in far higher demand than PHP is. Additionally, Python is a consistent language, unlike PHP. I could show you all the reasons, but just Google "php sucks" and you'll find plenty (i.e. http://eev.ee/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/).

#7 Tux, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. PHP is crap, use node.js, Perl or Ruby

ha get it

8. >.>

9. Like mentioned a few times before me, use NodeJS, Python, or Ruby. PHP is being slowly phased out, to the point where it would be more worthwhile to learn these newer languages.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. As I say to lots of people, you should learn English and grammar first.
    *interested
    *haven't
    *thought
    *opportunity
    *in-depth
    *different

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Since when is PHP being phased out? It's still being developed constantly and used by a wide range of web sites.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. As the others said, drop PHP and start with Python :)

13. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_languages_used_in_most_popular_websites

Notice how PHP is rarely used or used in conjunction with other languages? Larger companies don't like to use PHP, and people tend to follow them :p

PHP is definitely going to be used less often as these languages become popular. Also, if you are looking for web development jobs, next to none ask for PHP developers.

14. YouTube, Facebook, Yahoo and Wikipedia use PHP, so not sure what large companies you're on about. This site is using PHP and so is most of the internet. There are many jobs for PHP developers: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/jobs?searchTerm=php and looking at the usage from various sites PHP still holds a big role within the web development industry.

15. nfell pls

YouTube runs Python, Facebook is implementing Java and C++ along with PHP, Yahoo is transitioning to NodeJS, and Wikipedia runs WikiMedia which was written in PHP a while ago :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Don't link to things then :p

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. Okay in that case could you link some good in-depth Python guides?
    Thank you for correcting me.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Tux

Tux