Good Place to Learn Minecraft Developement

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by Ayeee_Port, Jul 18, 2018.

1. I need a good video tutorial that can help me learn how to make plugins. I found a couple on youtube but they are really old so I don't know if most of the stuff they teach are valid. If you have a good place for me to start, list them below.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. I'd recommend just watching the older videos, there are not many new tutorials anymore as Minecraft is not as huge as it used to be. I'd also recommend taking a look into learning basic Java.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Do you know java yet? If not, learn it to a basic level. It will save you a LOT of hassle. I didn’t and I failed so badly, once I learnt Java and finally understood what I was doing It felt like relearning the entire API. An API, Spigot, is an extension to be used ontop of a language, which without knowledge of the language, is useless.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Yea I know Java. Everybody recommended to me and when I look at a few videos I get what they are doing most of the time. I just wanted to know if the old videos are valid or is there anymore newer resources available.

5. They are mostly valid, but there are no newer resources. Try looking at simple plugins ppl make and read the documentation of spigot

6. Alright and also I think I messed up. I brought the Microsoft edition of Minecraft instead of the java one. Will it make a difference for programming.

7. No, the server runs your plugins & that only comes in Java. Btw, this is an API for server plugin development, not client mod development. That's something completely different.

8. gzx

gzx

Spigot doesn't support the Bedrock Edition, only the original, (in my opinion) real version of Minecraft (now demoted from Minecraft to Minecraft: Java Edition). If you want to develop for the Bedrock Edition, maybe look into Nukkit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I wanted to develop server plugins. I still downloaded the api I just don’t have a way of testing out the plugins

10. Get the spigot jar, and run it. Generate your server and put your custom plugin in the plugins folder. From there, test it.

If your computer isn't strong enough to run a server and minecraft together, look to a host like FreeMC or something for a free server.

11. @Hex_27 good advice right there :) For me, reading the basic codes of other developers help a lot, especially the simpler ones.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1