Handle mass joining

Discussion in 'Performance Tweaking' started by Mikgreg, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Mikgreg

Supporter

Hey, currently I'd like to run my network using one lobby, rather than 2. Things get pretty lonely when we're spreading players apart into multiple lobbies and we enjoy the sense of community we get from having 1. However, when servers on our network restart around ~200+ players at once get pushed into our lobby, and the server in most cases isn't able to handle it.

I've seen this work on other servers before, and I'm wondering in what ways I can optimise my lobby to allow it to handle all of these player joins. The server doesn't seem to crash completely when this happens, it just disconnects you after having the "logging in" screen for a few minutes.

I'm running my lobby on an E3-1270v3 with 10GB of RAM allocated to it.

2. You should show us your configs. I would look in to disable mobs/hoppers/chunkgrowing. And don't forget to decrease the view-distance to 4 or something like this.

3. Mikgreg

Supporter

There's no mob spawning and I don't see how disabling hoppers would do anything because there's none in the map. It's just a spawn in a void world. View distance should be fine too, the TPS remains at ~19 but the server just stops allowing people to join

4. Anything strange in your timings?

5. Mikgreg

Supporter

I'll have to catch the next time a server restarts and the players join. The server is fine when its running with a regular flow of people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Confusing but you could have multiple lobbies active at the time restarts occur but when 15 minutes or so have passed that server could go offline then you wouldn't have the problem any longer. Bit of a confusing infrastructure though.

7. Tux

Tux

Distribute your restarts more effectively. Problem solved and with less player inconvenience as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JamesJ

Supporter

Add more lobbies, or get a plugin that distributes players within a radius, rather than just one spawn point.

9. Mirror servers :)
    I'm just joking. It's so much work and gets boring real fast. Trust me, I've tried lol.

10. Mikgreg

Supporter

My subservers all restart within hours of each other, its just my largest subservers hold 300 people at peak

11. Get a lobby/bungee balancer.

12. Dont kick everyone at once when restarting. Kick one at a time.

13. Mikgreg

Supporter

Ok, looks like I'll have to run my two lobbies then. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Nope.
    Just dont send all players at once.

15. JamesJ

Supporter

I'd recommend more :p

16. Ugh, I hate to be that guy, but which Spigot version are you using?

The Minecraft server platform has been notorious in the past for bad performance, especially when dealing with mass amounts of players. Unfortunately, there is little to nothing you can do with Spigot for optimizing player login's. As others said spreading the login load on to other lobbies may help, however nothing is full proof. I'd personally suggest getting a plugin made to teleport all of the players to your lobby with a delay between teleports. Or even better, find a plugin already made, however I've never seen them in the past.

17. You can add multiple lobbies and create a queue system for teleporting a player every seconds to a lobby.