Suggestion Have a limit for how little money someone in the hiring section can offer

Discussion in 'Community Feedback and Suggestions' started by dxdy, May 23, 2015.

1. .

#1 dxdy, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. jflory7

jflory7 Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

I wouldn't be opposed to this for the Hiring section. If a developer wishes to charge their own rates that low in the Offering forum, then so be it, that's their decision. But I could agree with this.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sounds like a good idea to me, but there are some issues to work out for that limit as well: what if someone wants a plugin that would take <1 hour to do, something very simple could be done in just a few minutes and that $10 offer turns out to be a >$20/hr wage. So it shouldn't be a strictly "greater than $X amount" limit, but rather an limit on (roughly) calculated hourly wage. Minimum wage sounds like a fair...minimum (yes, I know minimum wage varies worldwide, so some happy medium should be found).

But it disgusts me when I see people posting very detailed posts, requesting some custom minigame or dynamic server setup (or anything else complicated to do), and offering $20 in compensation. :mad:

But people posting in the hiring section don't always know/realize how much work a plugin may take, so its a tough limit to set: who determines when an offered wage isn't acceptable? How will it be handled when someone posts something too low? A dev reports it if the estimated time it would take them divided by offered compensation, doesn't meet minimum wage?

Maybe a general guide could be posted of types of plugins people request (minigames, new mechanics, simple cosmetic item addition, etc, IDK), with a general range of time required specified for each. Then set a minimum hourly wage, and give the formula for the more dense people: (Offered Wage / Estimated hours = hourly wage).

4. jeff142

Benefactor

I don't agree, some of us do this for a hobbie, the money is just a added bonus on it.

• Agree Agree x 8
  5. If you feel a post that is in the Hiring developers section is not for you, just stay clear of it. It is essentially a free market, like the resources section, you are free to choose which offers you respond to and which you stay away from. Imposing a price floor on the whole section seems counter intuitive, let people decide who they choose to hire or respond too and the crappy offers will just filter through untouched.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. saphiria

Artist

Yes! If you think its to much money, dont reply! If someone will do it they will reply. Their loss if they get nobody.

I disagree. It says 5$ for a minigame... Like i said above, if the price isnt right negotiate, or dont even reply.

7. Generally (in the us) if you are hired to make one piece of work, you are an independent contractor, and are not obligated for a minimum wage. See difference between independent contractor and employee.

"An independent contractor is a natural person, business, or corporation that provides goods or services to another entity under terms specified in a contract or within a verbal agreement. Unlike an employee, an independent contractor does not work regularly for an employer but works as and when required, during which time he or she may be subject to law of agency. Independent contractors are usually paid on a freelance basis. Contractors often work through a limited company or franchise, which they themselves own, or may work through an umbrella company."

8. I disagree.
    People have to offer up to atleast $1000 on a complex minigame, or there will be nobody offering development services because their prices exceed the limit.

9. Is this really a major issue that a thread had to be created? It's a very simple concept; people pay what they can for a job. If the price isn't right for a potential developer, then they'll ignore the post, if the price is right, they'll do it. $5 jobs can be a simple plugin modification or light-weight plugin. If you seriously think it takes 10 hours to develop a $5 job, then who the hell would even do it? I can't see the logic in this argument. This is how anything with money goes.

Something too cheap? No one's forcing you to work there.
    Something too expensive, no one's forcing you to hire.

10. I really enjoy the things that are expensive
    $1000 for a FFA minigame (lel)
    But then there is always the
    $1 for Mineplex hub plugin