HDD and SSD Failures?

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by Jigsaw, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Jigsaw

Supporter

So, I know a lot of us use SSDs as the primary drives for running our minecraft servers. I am just curious to see how many people have had drive issues, whether it be SSD or HDD, while running a minecraft server. It has always been something that worries me and prompts me to ensure my backups are running frequently.

I realize this is a very real problem and that is why I am just curious to know if anyone has had this issue. It is especially more realistic with the massive amounts of read/writes that minecraft does compared to other applications.

Personally, I use a 120GB SSD for my minecraft server files and I have a 500GB HDD for backups, SQL, and the OS.

I have hosted a server for a year and a half and have never had an SSD or HDD fail on me. The only hardware problem I encountered was bad RAM on a server. That caused some pretty big issues, but once it was replaced all was good.

2. Our HDD, which is used for backups, started encountering read failures. Fortunately we had two of these HDDs in RAID 1 array, so it was no problem for us. We just made a ticket to our server provider's support system and they replaced the broken HDD. Rebuilding the RAID array wasn't funny though.

On our server we use a 6 GB ramdisk for running Minecraft and we have 1.5 TB of backup space on the HDD. We backup our whole server every hour.

3. From what I've read, RamDisk is pretty much not that good anymore... Theres another topic on here talking about it and many people stating its just not worth it anymore.

Plus, with a server like ours with 25gb folders (very large pregenerated world, kind of regret it now), we simply couldn't use ramdisk if we wanted =P

4. Those people are wrong. My server wouldn't last five minutes on a normal HDD.

5. Jigsaw

Supporter

I agree that using a RAMDisk is probably not the best choice for a minecraft server. Don't get me wrong, with proper setup and precautions it is definitely a reasonable solution. Personally, I believe SSDs are much safer and plenty fast for running a server. I also have a large amount of world data (about 15-20gb) and it wouldn't be very feasible to put all those on a RAMDisk,

The whole point of this post was to just get an idea of who has had problems with their HDD or SSD while running a server. From my scrounging on other forums I don't see many cases of HDD or SSD failure. Obviously, with any hardware, there are going to be failures. I remember when SSDs first started coming out people where claiming that an SSD is a horrible choice because they fail so often. I haven't read any statistical studies to back that up, but if anyone has real world examples that would be cool.