Help! How to set up a plugin?

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by dgm162, Jun 27, 2015.

1. I have setup a Spigot server so I want to make my onw Plugin for my server
    Any one have a tutorial or any instruction about "How to make a Bukkit/Spigot plugin?
    Plz,help

2. Read a java book.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. To make plugins for spigot, you will mainly need -
    1) A basic knowledge of java. (This from tutorial resources all over the internet).
    2) Software tools to write and compile java code. Probably eclipse and jd-gui.
    3) Some more specific knowledge on the methods and java implementation specific to the spigot software. This information can be found on this site and in the bukkit forums.
    4) Time and Patience.

Good luck.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. bukkit wiki and java articles

if you want a video

5. Firstly, you would need a basic understanding of Java. I would recommend watching TheNewBoston's tutorial videos. The first 20 vids should be fine. Second you would need to look up minecraft plugin tutorials. Third, If you have a friend that's good at coding talk to them. They should be able to help you :)

TheNewBoston:

StormCoreFilms

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. looks like stormcorefilms are lacking of videos not explanation atleast
    recommended that too

7. Interested link?

8. The first 20 videos wouldn't be nearly enough to cover the basics. The first 61 maybe.

TheNewBoston isn't really a good choice anyway. I would recommend studying a good book instead. Then, of course, there is always the official oracle tutorials.

@dgm162 Did you not search before posting. There are at least a couple dosen threads about this exact thing already.

9. konsolas

Supporter

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Read a java book don't learn with YouTube videos.

11. Java for dummies is working really good for me.

12. Search "How to make a bukkit plugin" , PogoStick2 has good tutorials ;)

13. #14 ProxyBite, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  14. Tux

Tux

The first two actually produce questionable code, with TheBCBroz even admitting that everything he wrote was bad.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. I think it was smart coming to spigot for this issue. When you learn how to create plugins, make sure your video tutorial is very detailed, and explains everything fully

And don't create plugins unless you know basic Java ;)

Find me one Java book that explains how to program plugins… bukkit specifically

We got a winner right here. As long as you know Java and you can understand what what you're typing means, then you're pretty much good. This was my strategy. I started learning 4 languages, then I eventually had a full understanding of Java. Now when I watch a video tutorial I don't even put on the sound xD I just figure out what it means on my own

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. What people seem to forget here is that no one can expect to learn a new skill without practice. This does not mean start writing plugins right away; you wouldn't understand what you're doing.

It means that watching or reading a tutorial is not nearly enough. Regardless of whether it was a video or a book. It means download the JDK right away because you are going to need it right away. I'm with all the people who say youtube tutorials isn't worth it. You'll learn a lot better from a good book than what a video could ever teach you. That said, it wouldn't make a damn difference as long as you don't practice.

Grab a good book. I'm sure there are a lot of recommendations to find around the internet. Join the javaranch forums. They're really nice and patient. See if you can find yourself some projects to keep you occupied. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. In fact, make mistakes first rather than asking. That's when you really learn. Most importantly: Write code. Don't expect to learn anything by just reading a book or just watching a video. Test things out for yourself, start some projects on your own. Never stop writing code. It might seem tedious at first, but if you like it you'll pick it up surprisingly fast.

Good luck.

#19 Rocoty, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. español tenias que ser, seguro que solo te pones el video y empiezas a copiar y pegar el codigo que el escribe en su IDE (eso no es aprender) la mejor forma es a traves de un libro o un .pdf :p:cool: