Help required with hosting.

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by YAML, Jun 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello Spigot Forums,

I would like to a host a server (preferrable with bungeecord support) , that is able to hold around 50 players, we're not looking for top notch Intel processors at the moment, we just need a good server host that can handle 50 players and not lag... I haven't got a budget at the moment. But am limited, very.

Budget: $100/m MAX.

2. Where do you need it? (location)

Hosts to look at:

reliablesite.net
    ovh.com
    serverloft.com
    soyoustart.com (reseller of ovh)
    mcprohosting.com

google.com :)

3. if your just staring out i would recommend a good vps will give you flexibility and some of the power of a dedicated server but without the cost

4. You could rent a dedi from Kimsufi or SoYouStart. I used SoYouStart for one year and had no problems with them, and the DDOS protection worked great when I was with them. It'll be cheaper than OVH most likely.

5. For that price you can just get a good old MC-32 and you'll be set for a long time! Go large at the beginning and never need to upgrade for a while. (No more hassles of transferring files)

If you want I can hook you up with an MC-32 with 240GB SSD (instead of 512GB like OVH sells) from OVH itself (fully dedicated, not a VPS) for $80 USD (tax included) ;)

#6 TheDestruc7i0n, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  6. FG_

FG_

Im not sure that a MC-32 processor is necessarily top-notch as he specified

7. MikeA

MikeA Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

1.) Offering hosting isn't allowed in threads
    2.) He shouldn't buy from you because a.) you're losing money with transaction fees and taxes b.) he would need to rely on you to pay his server
    3.) OVH doesn't sell 512GB SSD, they sell two 240GB SSDs in RAID-1 by default. You can edit it in the partition manager..

8. MikeA

MikeA Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

i7-4790K is definitely "top notch" when it comes to single thread performance.

9. It's actually one of the highest, if not, the highest performance processor for minecraft.

Should be able to easily host 150-200 players per server with minimal lag, and, if you ever expand into a network, since it has 4 cores, that means you could, in theory, host around 800 players on one machine. Good for a decent-sized network.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. FG_

FG_

Hence why I said "I'm not sure" :p I assumed any E3 or E5 would be far superior for a Minecraft network.

11. Thanks for telling me ;) Forgot.

12. MikeA

MikeA Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

If you don't know the differences (clock, arch, cache, etcetcetc.) between two CPUs you probably shouldn't go around saying one is better.

• Like Like x 1
  13. FG_

FG_

I think you misunderstood me because I clearly was NOT saying one was better... My original post was meant to be a question about whether it was a suitable processor.

14. MikeA

MikeA Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

Maybe I did misunderstand. "I assumed any E3 or E5 would be far superior for a Minecraft network."

15. FG_

FG_

I think you misunderstood the nature of my original post that posed a question of the performance of the 4790K - I wasn't stating anything but I can see why you would be defensive about it when ExtraVM uses the 4790K.

16. MikeA

MikeA Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

I'm actually moving off the i7-4790K's due to costs<->performance, it has nothing to do with me using them. I'm just stating that you're wrong.

17. FG_

FG_

What are you thinking of moving to if you don't mind me asking?

#18 FG_, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. Ok;

It's three servers; A hub , Survival and Factions.

The ram needs to be enough on factions to handle multiple cannon and tnt explosions without causing major lag through-out the server. Survivals should be able to run as smooth as single player minecraft and so should the hub.

19. Ovh its your best option, server game mc-32 its a best, and im sure will fit your needs as it its in your budget.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.