Solved Help with args

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by Creatos137, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Hey,

I made custom items and I wanted to spawn them in with a command so I decided to use args in my command to make my command smaller.
    But my command is not working, can someone help me?

https://hastebin.com/tumocokemo.java

Thank you for your time,
    - Creatos

2. Use equals() to compare Strings!

Or for args I would use equalsIgnoreCase()

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Definitly use String#equalsIgnoreCase() if you're working on commands and other user input that requires text!

4. 1.: At the moment you will always return false if the arguments length is 1, otherwise you will return true. Shouldn't this be the other way around?
    2.: I recommend using a switch statement instead of those if statements (when checking the value of args[0]: https://www.tutorialspoint.com/java/switch_statement_in_java.htm
    3.: Are you sure returning false if the sender is not a player a good idea? Why don't you send the CommandSender a message explaining that only players can use the command, then return true?
    4.: You set the player's first inventory slot to the desired item, are you sure you don't want to add it to an empty slot in their inventory instead?
    5.: Your class is named "Item". I don't think this is a good choice: it's very generic and it doesn't show that this class handles commands.
    I believe the other issues have already been explained.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. So I changed it to
    Code (Text):
    if (arg[0].equalsIgnoreCase("BeginnerSword"))
    Is this right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. It doesn't give me the item :(

7. Code (Text):
    @Override
    public boolean onCommand (CommandSender sender, Command command, String label, String[] args) { //Variable name: arg -> args
        if (!(sender instanceof Player)) {
            sender.sendMessage (ChatColor.RED + "Only players can use this command!"); //Instead of returning false
            return true;
        }

Player player = (Player)sender;

if (args.length == 1) {
            switch (args[0].toLowerCase ()) { //Switch statement instead of multiple if-s
                case "beginnersword":
                    player.getInventory ().setItem (0, swords.beginnerSword ()); //Instead of setting an inventory slot directly, you should put the item into an empty slot
                    return true;
                case "ironsword":
                    player.getInventory ().setItem (0, swords.ironSword ());
                    return true;
                case "longsword":
                    player.getInventory ().setItem (0, swords.longSword ());
                    return true;
            }
        }
        return false;
    }

Are you sure the "swords.beginnerSword ()" returns a valid item? Do a test where you replace it with "
    new ItemStack (Material.STONE_SWORD)".

8. OP response? Found anything? Still need help?