1. Guest, as per the stickied thread, this forum has not been in use since 2014. All bugs and feature requests should be posted to JIRA.

Solved High memory usage Spigot #1116

Discussion in 'Bugs & Feature Requests' started by Tritek, Sep 27, 2013.

1. My server use 5GB RAM with 0 players If spawn-monsters=true. If I set spawn-monsters=false usage is 512MB - 1GB with 10 players. Server use more and more RAM. After 5 hours server use 13GB RAM(3 players).

14:42:10 [INFO] Plugins (47): AnvilRestrict, BetterAlias, EntityManager, PlugMan, Minequery, WorldEdit, VoxelSniper, Websend, Quests, Vault, PlayerHeads, PermissionsEx, Multiverse-Core, CombatTag, MobManager, PwnChickenLay, FigAdmin, stables, VipSlot, WorldGuard, BorderGuard, PerformanceMonitor, Spectate, iConomy, HawkEye, ColoredTags, MuezliAnnouncer, ProtocolLib, WeatherMan, Heroes, cPlugins, MobHealth, Essentials, Citizens, Orebfuscator, NaturalHorses, EssentialsSpawn, Multiverse-Portals, Multiverse-NetherPortals, NoEggPort, NoItem, LWC, ChestShop, EssentialsChat, SimpleRegionMarket, AuthMe, Factions.

Start log: http://pastebin.com/udF582Nv

1. 2013-09-27 13:25:38 [INFO] [Citizens] Loaded 116 NPCs (? spawned).
      Well it might be because of 116 npc's. but that's just me

2. Absolution

Benefactor

Try running without plugins and see if it still happens. Sometimes plugins have memory leaks and by running the server without plugins, you'll probably see the problem

3. I have the same problem.

First i thought it was caused by factions because it was the last plugin i updated. But now i see that I am not the only one with this problem and you are running an older version of factions and you also have this problem. This means that it is caused by spigot. I'll downgrade to an older version and check it the high memory usage is fixed than .

4. md_5

Administrator Developer

Yup, I know for a fact that PLUGINS messing with mob spawning will cause memory leaks.
    That would explain why Tritek sees no issues when spawning is disabled.

5. I downgraded to #1115 5min ago I'll tell you tomorrow it the problem also exists on 1115 or not.

I've created an java heap dump during the high memory usage i think i will help you to find out if the problem is caused by spigot or not. http://downloads.etg-clan.at/130925.rar

#6 MarioG1, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  6. joehot200

Supporter

Would my HarderMobs plugin do this? It adds potion effects to the mobs when they spawn (like speed & damage resistance)

7. md_5

Administrator Developer

No, this occurs when spawns are cancelled.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. This means if i use Multiverse, set the difficulty to hard but set mob-spawning to false would cause a memory leak?

9. Tritek's Plugin list:
    14:42:10 [INFO] Plugins (47): AnvilRestrict, BetterAlias, EntityManager, PlugMan, Minequery, WorldEdit, VoxelSniper, Websend, Quests, Vault, PlayerHeads, PermissionsEx, Multiverse-Core, CombatTag, MobManager, PwnChickenLay, FigAdmin, stables, VipSlot, WorldGuard, BorderGuard, PerformanceMonitor, Spectate, iConomy, HawkEye, ColoredTags, MuezliAnnouncer, ProtocolLib, WeatherMan, Heroes, cPlugins, MobHealth, Essentials, Citizens, Orebfuscator, NaturalHorses, EssentialsSpawn, Multiverse-Portals, Multiverse-NetherPortals, NoEggPort, NoItem, LWC, ChestShop, EssentialsChat, SimpleRegionMarket, AuthMe, Factions.

My Plugin list:

Plugins (46): LagMeter, WorldEdit, NoCheatPlus, tce, StarterKit, mcore, Vault, LogBlockQuestioner, PlayerHeads, PermissionsEx, Multiverse-Core, BanHammer, LogBlock, WorldGuard, PingMOTD, dynmap, Dynmap-WorldGuard, SilkSpawners, MineBackup, EndReset, iConomy, AuthMe, SurvivalGames, CBWrapper, Fly, CraftBukkitUpToDate, Lockette, ProtocolLib, ChunkSpawnerLimiter, InfinityDispenser, Modifyworld, Votifier, myUltraWarps, iChat, MoneyDrop, LoginMessage, Orebfuscator, ChatManager, Multiverse-Portals, Multiverse-Inventories, WebAuctionPlus, Multiverse-NetherPortals, iChatPlayerList, Factions, FactionChat, Statistics

If you compare this two lists we both have this plugins installed:

WorldEdit, Vault, PlayerHeads, PermissionsEx, Multiverse-Core, WorldGuard, iConomy, ProtocolLib, Orebfuscator, Multiverse-Portals, Multiverse-NetherPortals, AuthMe, Factions.

Since the Bug occurs for me since 20.09.2013 (1.6.4 update) i remove all plugins form the list which are not updated since 1.6.4:

Factions, Worldedit and Orebfuscator are left.

Now I compare the plugin versions he is using with my plugin versions:

Now only Orebfuscator is left this means that Orebfuscator or Spigot are causing the high memory usage.

10. md_5

Administrator Developer

So, remove orebfuscator and use the inbuilt one. Its only logical to try that.

Also what does not having been updated have to do with high memory usage.

11. Because i had no problems with high memory usage before 1.6.4 and plugins which had no high memory usage in 1.6.2 will also have no high memory usage in 1.6.4 (If they are the same, not updated). I'll remove Orebfuscator and test it today.

#12 MarioG1, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  12. I have removed Orebfuscator but my server still uses 6GB of ram after a half day with around 5 players online.

13. Tried disabling structures in server.properties? I just did that - all my issues that sound similar to yours were cleared. (Running spigot 1120)

14. I have issues with Orebfuscator and without Orebfuscator. I'll try disable structures in server.properties.

15. Same issue here, both of my servers allocate more RAM on 1.6.4 builds then 1.6.2. RAM allocation goes up throughout the day as people log in but never goes down as people log out like it always has in past spigot builds (1.6.2, 1.5+, 1.4+, ect).

Also noticing huge lag spikes when the world is being saved (on my PVE server which houses a fairly big world). Never noticed any lag spikes on previous spigot builds before 1.6.4. Something has gone fishy since 1.6.4 Minecraft/spigot. Hope it gets worked out soon.

16. I also have lag spikes on save - I once managed to fix it by turning off structures but it now happens regardless of that setting. Its a dev build so hopefully they fix it soon.

17. Hi Guys,

I am about to do some testing. I am running on the same build, and I have been watching my memory usage. I have found that My server uses a lot less memory on start-up than it does a day into it. Looking at the memory, I can see a gradual raise in usage. Granted, this could be a plugin of some sort but I am going to do some testing to see about this. I'm going to start with just a pure spigot build and see what happens.

I'll keep you posted!

Edit* Within an hour with a stock Spigot.jar and no plugins, I didn't find anything terrible in terms of Memory usage. It went up by 10MB. I am now going to look into the plugins installed. I will let everyone know which plugins I find to be causing a problem!

#18 Haun1400, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  18. I found the solution. (on my server)

Set save-structure-info: false in the spigot.yml.

#19 MarioG1, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  19. Dmck2b

Services Staff

Pretty sure xXJamesLegendXx did..

I wouldn't have responded had you not tried to claim glory with bold and bigger font for 'I found the solution' and nowhere else.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1