Higher CPU clock or more cores?

Discussion in 'Performance Tweaking' started by Red_Epicness, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Hello.

I am a developer for an undisclosed server, so for all questions relevant, plugins cannot be taken into account as most are custom.they do interface with a Redis database, as our permanant storage option, do not suggest to change this, please. Redis shouldnt be an issue though, as its pretty damn fast.

So, I was tasked of selecting a good dedicated box for our server, said to bo able to hold up to 700 people on launch. Having never achieved such high player counts on my other projects I am here asking people who have experience with such high loads.

Server is versioned at 1.7.10 (don't ask why, I didn't decide this), with a single BungeeCord, a lobby, and the server where the actual game resides. Lets assume it is plain survival, and only the world/player load from minecraft/spigot itself counts. Lobby has most minecraft features disabled and the map is very limited so that should be less of a strain. Map on the main server is about 10k-10k preloaded with a worldborder so people cannot go futher. Render distance is at 5, other optimizatio s such as chunk gc and others enabled. (The lag optimization guide found on here used). We use paperspigot.
    Not all players of those 700 would be in game, apparently a portion would be in the lobby in a "queue" for the game server.

Here is what my main question is:
    Does a box require higher cpu clock speeds or higher core count to support such loads (a lot of people on few servers)?

Our high CPU clock option:
    https://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/game/171mc4.xml

Our high core count option:
    https://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/infrastructure/160eg2.xml - SSD upgrade

If you have a better suggestion for a box I would happily take a look, as long as it is within similar price range of those 2.

And once you know which box is better:

1. Will bungee on that box be able to hold that many people? Or should we invest into deploying multiple bungee instances?
    2. Will a single lobby be able to hold that many people "waiting" in a small area (thus no world loading and so on? Or should we invest into deploying multiple lobbies?
    3. How many people would a single paperspigot (1.7.10) be able to hold on that box?

If need be slots can be limited but apparently 700 is the amount of players expected on launch, and crashing on launch is not a good start.

Any questions? Just ask :)
    If you have other suggestions on how I should take this on, any kind of feedback or advice please comment below, I would appreciate all help :)

2. > Will bungee on that box be able to hold that many people? Or should we invest into deploying multiple bungee instances?
    get multiple

> Will a single lobby be able to hold that many people "waiting" in a small area (thus no world loading and so on? Or should we invest into deploying multiple lobbies?
    No.

> How many people would a single paperspigot (1.7.10) be able to hold on that box?
    Considering there's no information on gamemode, player movement, or else - it's hard to tell. I'd say ~400 players though, on a standard 1270v3.

>> Does a box require higher cpu clock speeds or higher core count to support such loads (a lot of people on few servers)?

This is the wrong question to ask. Minecraft's main server thread will only ever use one core - although there are other threads, they aren't that intensive in general. I'd suggest that you get two low cost Xeon 12xx servers - desktop CPUs are not built for a 24/7 workload.

For 700 players, you'll be needing to look at multiple boxes, as BungeeCord may starve off resources from the minecraft instances you have.

3. No to multiple lobbies or no as in it will not hold the players?

So i forgot to mention this earlier, good thing you mentioned multiple boxes:
    We currently own a so you start box:
    https://www.soyoustart.com/us/offers/173sys11.xml
    We first planned to stop renting it in favor of one that would replace it.
    What if we kept the old one alongside a new one, keeping one bungee on each of the boxes, the game server on the new better one, and lobby(ies) on our current so you start box (which also hosts website and admin panels)?
    Do you think that would work?

Also as for the i7 7700k is it really better to get a server type cpu, i did a search on the forums beforehand and many people said it was very good. I did hear desktop cpus tend to fail more often under heavy use, but the hosting company is bound to replace it anyway. So for example we get the i7 box + the one we have at the same time splitting load like mentioned above?

Also got info that we expect to have up to a max of 400 people on the main game server, and we are ready to pay a bit extra (for perhaps a i7 box) just to ensure a great launch.

Thanks for the help so far :)

Edit:
    Also gamemode can be said as if it were normal survival, so players walking all around the map constantly (lots of chunk io)

#3 Red_Epicness, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  4. if u use single instance 4 core enought, u need more clock speed. But you have multiple instance, like lobby1 lobb2... or skywars1, skywars2..
    u need more core

• Agree Agree x 1