HikariCP "DataSourceClassName is required"

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by Redrield, May 22, 2016.

1. So I'm working on one of my plugins that uses MySQL, it works, and in the onEnable it establishes a connection to the database and creates a table. But when I try to use data in the table later, it throws an exception:
    Code (Text):
    [22:33:10] [Server thread/ERROR]: Could not pass event InventoryClickEvent to SimpleChatColour v1.0
    org.bukkit.event.EventException
        at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$1.execute(JavaPluginLoader.java:310) ~[spigot-1.9.4.jar:git-Spigot-4af49dc-c5e9a16]
        at org.bukkit.plugin.RegisteredListener.callEvent(RegisteredListener.java:62) ~[spigot-1.9.4.jar:git-Spigot-4af49dc-c5e9a16]
        at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.fireEvent(SimplePluginManager.java:502) [spigot-1.9.4.jar:git-Spigot-4af49dc-c5e9a16]
        at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.callEvent(SimplePluginManager.java:487) [spigot-1.9.4.jar:git-Spigot-4af49dc-c5e9a16]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_9_R2.PlayerConnection.a(PlayerConnection.java:1851) [spigot-1.9.4.jar:git-Spigot-4af49dc-c5e9a16]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_9_R2.PacketPlayInWindowClick.a(SourceFile:33) [spigot-1.9.4.jar:git-Spigot-4af49dc-c5e9a16]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_9_R2.PacketPlayInWindowClick.a(SourceFile:10) [spigot-1.9.4.jar:git-Spigot-4af49dc-c5e9a16]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_9_R2.PlayerConnectionUtils$1.run(SourceFile:13) [spigot-1.9.4.jar:git-Spigot-4af49dc-c5e9a16]
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) [?:1.8.0_92]
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) [?:1.8.0_92]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_9_R2.SystemUtils.a(SourceFile:45) [spigot-1.9.4.jar:git-Spigot-4af49dc-c5e9a16]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_9_R2.MinecraftServer.D(MinecraftServer.java:726) [spigot-1.9.4.jar:git-Spigot-4af49dc-c5e9a16]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_9_R2.DedicatedServer.D(DedicatedServer.java:399) [spigot-1.9.4.jar:git-Spigot-4af49dc-c5e9a16]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_9_R2.MinecraftServer.C(MinecraftServer.java:665) [spigot-1.9.4.jar:git-Spigot-4af49dc-c5e9a16]
        at net.minecraft.server.v1_9_R2.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:564) [spigot-1.9.4.jar:git-Spigot-4af49dc-c5e9a16]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [?:1.8.0_92]
    Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: dataSource or dataSourceClassName or jdbcUrl is required.
        at com.zaxxer.hikari.HikariConfig.validate(HikariConfig.java:784) ~[?:?]
        at com.zaxxer.hikari.HikariDataSource.getConnection(HikariDataSource.java:92) ~[?:?]
        at me.redrield.scc.SimpleCommands.onItemClick(SimpleCommands.java:141) ~[?:?]
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_92]
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:1.8.0_92]
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.8.0_92]
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:1.8.0_92]
        at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$1.execute(JavaPluginLoader.java:306) ~[spigot-1.9.4.jar:git-Spigot-4af49dc-c5e9a16]
        ... 15 more
    As I already said it was already able to connect to the database, and in the onEnable I do this:
    Code (Text):
    hikari.setDataSourceClassName("com.mysql.jdbc.jdbc2.optional.MysqlDataSource");
    So what exactly is going wrong here?

2. Below the snippet I gave I add data source properties defining the server, database, port, username, and password. And all things I do revolving around MySQL are using the same instance of Hikari which I fetch with a getter.

3. What line throws the exception?

4. We'll need more than one line of code to give any substantial amount of help.

5. Any line that calls HikariDataSource#getConnection() outside of the onEnable is throwing the exception.

This is the whole code setting up the data source:
    Code (Text):
    hikari.setDataSourceClassName("com.mysql.jdbc.jdbc2.optional.MysqlDataSource");
                hikari.addDataSourceProperty("serverName", getConfig().getString("mysql.ip"));
                hikari.addDataSourceProperty("port", getConfig().getString("mysql.port"));
                hikari.addDataSourceProperty("databaseName", getConfig().getString("mysql.database"));
                hikari.addDataSourceProperty("user", getConfig().getString("mysql.username"));
                hikari.addDataSourceProperty("password", getConfig().getString("mysql.password"));
    There are values in the config, and hikari isn't null. (I give it a value right above that code)

6. Ensure that com.mysql.jdbc.jdbc2.optional.MysqlDataSource is in your class path at runtime. Just use class.forName("com.mysql.jdbc.jdbc2.optional.MysqlDataSource");

7. It's not throwing ClassNotFound, so the class is available at runtime.