History of Spigot

Discussion in 'Wiki Discussion' started by danjb2000, Oct 9, 2014.

1. danjb2000

danjb2000 Retired Moderator
    Retired Supporter

History of Spigot

History of Spigot

SpigotMC has grown massively over the course of a few years from a single thread to an ever-growing forum with almost half a million members.

Origins(top)

Spigot started out being ran on a single thread over at Spoutcraft on the 29th June 2012.

By November, there were talks of something special being created. Later that month, on November 21st, the SpigotMC forums were born.

Timeline(top)

Early Spigot(top)

April 2013: The resource manager found its way into Spigot's community.

May 2013: 8% of all servers were using Spigot and 28% of the Minecraft population played on a Spigot server.

June 15th, 2013: brajo was appointed as the project lead for the new wiki.

23,000 servers were now using Spigot within a few short months for the Spigot team.

September 9th, 2013: The resource manager was organized into different resource sections to better classify resources.

October 1st, 2013: Spigot and Intreppid announced plans to attend MineCon together! In order to raise funds to attend, SpigotMC began accepting donations, and many server owners began contributing to the project. It was successful due to the amazing support by the community's donations!

December 2013: SpigotMC starts their own IRC Network to allow better communication with others.

March 4th, 2014: Spigot invested in a new forum design from renowned design firm Audentio Designs.

April 15th, 2014: Spigot introduced the Premium Resources section, allowing developers to sell their work for the first time ever to an open market.

June 10th, 2014: Due to the large amount of work the wiki required the wiki team lead, SpigotMC began recruiting new wiki team members.

DMCA Era(top)

September 3rd, 2014: Spigot received a DMCA takedown notice from a former Bukkit developer, and after considerable legal consultation, the downloads and source code were removed from the public domain. This is still an ongoing issue.

September 8th, 2014: After the DMCA takedown, md_5 announced a new way to continue releasing Spigot updates to the community through binary patches. By using a special Spigot Patcher JAR, users can apply updates to Spigot #1649 by using the special patcher tool. The Spigot development team proved their commitment to the project and that they were not going to give up because of a single developer.

October 18th, 2014: md_5 announced that Spigot was planning to update to Minecraft 1.8 despite all of the trials and tribulations faced by the team. md_5 and Thinkofdeath had already done a significant amount of work to bring Spigot up to date in private, and together, they are working on bringing full 1.8 compatibility before 2015. Once again, the Spigot development team proved that they are truly committed to the community by continuing to work on Spigot despite all of the issues that had arisen previous to this.

Current Day(top)

SpigotMC has an ever-growing amount of support from the community with almost half a million members, and things are looking up despite all of the Minecraft community drama (including Microsoft acquiring ownership of Mojang AB).

More content to be added soon! Please leave discussion in the thread for this wiki post.

• Like x 12
    • Informative x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  2. Wow! Those milestones <3
    I LOVE SPIGOT!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Long live spigot!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. danjb2000

Retired Supporter

Indeed, Those milestones are nice.

Note: If anyone has any items they feel should be included let me know.

5. Gj

• Like Like x 1
  6. JamesJ

Supporter

Yea you forgot the biggest milestone.
    4th of January, 2014, the wonderful, amazing, @JamesJ joined the SpigotMC forums. Made them the amazing place they are today.
    Lel

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Would be interesting to know what percentage of servers now use Spigot, and what percentage of players now play on a Spigot server.

8. danjb2000

Retired Supporter

30.55% has decreased slightly recently I think.

9. Spigot is awesome. :) <3 md_5

10. I guess a lot of people came over to spigot when 1.7 bukkit didn't come out for a long time, and now 1.8, but there is still a shit ton of noobs just using bukkit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wow, it's cool to see the history of Spigot. Great job guys!

12. jflory7

jflory7 Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

I just made a lot of grammar edits and cleaned up the syntax to match the general format of other wiki posts.

Also, I added IRC staff to edit this page so they can also have a say in one of Spigot's most important projects, the IRC network! @GunfighterJ / @Z750 / @cindy_k / @Nick, feel free to edit this wiki entry as needed!

I will also try to add some pieces to this to make it even more comprehensive. :)

13. jflory7

Retired Benefactor

@Dmck2b
    Wasn't sure if you had wiki permissions either, so I added you to this wiki entry as well so you could add snippets about the S&R section. :)

14. You should add that it was called craftbukkit-- for a while :)

15. HAIL SPIGOT! HAIL SPIGOT!

16. jflory7

Retired Benefactor

I think it was based off the server mod CraftBukkit++ after it was abandoned. Something like that. Spigot has always been called Spigot, though.

17. CustomForms

CustomForms Retired Moderator
    Retired Supporter

May 14th, 2013 - nhadobas stopped being an arrogant troll and decided to change his ways.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. jflory7

Retired Benefactor

And now he's one of our trusty moderators. :D

19. Yeah, There was Craftbukkit++ at the time and md_5 made Craftbukkit--, I thought it was just renamed into Spigot after it got popular on Spout. Althought it could've been re-written into Spigot, I don't remember entirely xD

• Like Like x 1
  20. Z750

Resource Staff IRC Staff

Yeah my story is about the same. There's some of the tamer stuff at the start of the Best IRC Moments thread. Saw Spigot was getting nailed by confused users the day of an MC update, I'm sure most of you know how it is. I offered to help and that's basically it. It was nice to grow and mature with the community this whole time. I've made a lot of great friends over the past year or so, and I'm really happy to be a part of the community :)

• Agree Agree x 1