Home hosting. Stupid or smart?

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by Purple115, Apr 18, 2017.

1. I'm going to use bungeecord 4-5 servers 100-150 plugins (for all the servers). My internet will be 1000 up and 1000 down very soon. (I know pretty cool). And I'm probably going with a dedicated server 49 dollars/month. But would home hosting be smarter?

#1 Purple115, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  2. If it's going to be a public server, home hosting typically isn't a good idea for a bunch of reasons. There's a risk of DDoS and hosting servers is also against some residential ISPs terms of use.

On another note, I'm not sure what your reason for wanting a dedicated server is but since you're only going to be running 4-5 servers, shared hosting would likely be more cost effective for you (since you're asking about home hosting, I assume price is a factor in your decision).

3. Celebrimbor

Patron

Home hosting is good for family and friends. The moment you open it to the internet, you run into a wall of security concerns as mentioned above. I'd go with shared host for now until you grow and warrant the expansion/upgrade with monetary backing from a larger player base.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. If you know what you are doing then home hosting could work but do you have a powerful cpu ssd etc. Also you should be able to find some cheep (but good enough) ddos protection for less than 49/month. So all in all if you don't want to go with shared hosting or a vps, you know what you are doing, have a good cpu ram etc, can find good ddos prot for less than 49/month and your ISPs is okay with it then go for it

5. latiku

Supporter

To simply answer your question; home hosting a public server is just plain stupid.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. If you're wanting to host it for your friends or family, I would suggest home hosting. If you're thinking of making a BIG server like The Hive or Mineplex, I would go with a site where it hosts it for you. Examples: meloncube.net, mcprohosting.com etc.

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. Celebrimbor

Patron

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Gaxan

Supporter

mcprohosting.com is a horrible suggestion, you might as well suggest plox.host while you're at it. Well plox.host is worse, but you get the idea.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. OVH is a good hosting provider. I wouldn't suggest home hosting neither. It's more expensive, also because you have to do the maintenance etc. And I think that a shared server would also be enough.

10. Plox host should be better now they have a new owner as well don't take my word for it i haven't tried them just saying

Also take a look at this http://ploxhost.com/ :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. i would suggest server.pro for a host

• Creative Creative x 1
  12. Gaxan

Supporter

Still horrible. I tried them maybe a month ago.
    Ploxhost.com always gives me a good laugh.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Stupid :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Server.pro is shit

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I strongly disagree

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Stupid if you intend to have a lot of players on it. Smart if you want a testing environment.

17. TheJavaHacker

Supporter

Listen, if you know what you're doing in terms of security and you have the machine and bandwidth
    to do it, I say go for it, beware the costs for the server upkeep though (bills) and shite.

If you're looking for a host however (it's the cheaper and smarter option to be fair), there are a wide variety to choose from,
    including the one down in my signature.
    If you're looking to manage your own Machine, so you're not at risk of an over-selling company, go with PrivateHeberg or OVH or So-You-Start or Kimsufi, they can get you a dedicated Machine for you to use to your liking :)

18. Their servers lag when you put more than 50% CPU load on them, I'm 99.99999999999(repeating)% sure they oversell servers

19. I am a system administrator and i have setup up lots of servers on there before due to the owner request and it looks like a good strong host but i can't be sure because i have never used it my self so you may be right, but from what i have seen they look pretty good and i have not yet looked at there prices

20. When in the hell will they allow a disagree button..