Hosting a Discord bot?

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by 1010bobIzCOOL, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Hello,
    I was wonder where I can best host a discord bot, I tried home-hosting however that didn't really work out for me. I would like cheap and realiable.

Regards;

EDIT: Disregard my signature ;)

2. Message me on discord: runconnor #0814

3. Contacted.

4. Use a droplet from digitalocean or use a raspberrypi

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. That's very expensive for just a bot...

I suggest buying the cheapest vps you find, anything should do honestly. However, from personal experience, if hosting a java bot, make sure to have more than 512mb ram.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. time4vps seems to be cheap..

• Like Like x 1
  7. How many java bots do you recommend to host on one raspberry pi 3b at a time?

8. depend on your device, like 2-3 i think

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Discord is basically a combination of skype and teamspeak, but better in many aspects. many people on the forums resorted to only having discord as a way of contact (or PM's). Would recommend getting it

10. I signed up for a github students liscense and with it it gives a code to get the cheapest droplet plan for free for 8 months. Not sure how much ram though.

11. 512MB ram.

12. I recommend 256gb of ram as that should be almost enough.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. what the actual

i hope that u are joking

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. a 1 gb vps is fine in most hosts you can easily get them for cheap

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MikeA

Retired Supporter

I don't have any real experience with Discord bots... but if it's in Java and it's not going to be used on tons of servers, I would guess any small 256MB - 512MB VPS would do just fine. RamNode has $8/quarterly 256MB RAM VPS.

16. leo

leo

17. Don’t host a discord bot from ovh

18. And why? You should have a reason for that

19. My friend host's a discord bot on his Pi it works fine, I think you can run 2 on them as they are not that resource intensive.