Hosting help

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by Coll1234567, Jun 12, 2016.

1. We have been running a towny server using spigot for a few months now. With recent growth we are starting to hit 30 players online at one time. We run around 40 plugins, most of which are custom and run smoothly. We constantly see a server load of over 200% with our current setup and tps around 8. We currently pay $12 for 4gb of ram, Dual Xeon E5-2670 Processors, DDR3 ECC RAM, HGST Western Digital SSDs, and 1000Mb connection. What would you recommend to us so that we can hold upwards of 50 players without these steep tps drops.

Timings link: https://timings.spigotmc.org/?url=17270830

2. MikeA

MikeA Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

doTickTiles pretty sure is things like redstone, 200% CPU is definitely high for 30 players, so there is definitely something going on in your world. Also I'd recommend getting an SSD instead of a regular HDD. You said "HGST Western Digital SSD". That's not a thing, so I assume it's a HDD.

• Like Like x 1
  3. "HGST Western Digital SSD" is based of the information the host has on their website, so I have no idea.

4. And if the provider that your at @OP then you should really RUN for your life from them and order your unit elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Relinquished

Benefactor

That's not real...give us a link to your host please?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yea I wonder who is the shit hoster too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Relinquished

Benefactor

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I gotta give them though, they give you Premium HDD, Unmetered bandwidth and a "Game Server Panel Control Panel" :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. The OP is my dev on my server that we are discussing here. I am open to switching hosts, but the main thing we are worried about, is transferring all of the files from server to server. Does anyone know of a good host that will do this for us?

10. Relinquished

Benefactor

Literally any good host. Just download them to your computer via filezilla, then upload them to your new host.

11. Yes but that would take hours upon hours to download :(

12. Relinquished

Benefactor

Then your only option is to stay with your current crappy host. A few hours will be worth it in the long run :)

13. What other hosts would you recommend? MCProhosting seems a bit too expensive imo

14. Relinquished

Benefactor

McProHosting is expensive. Nor is it that great.

https://nitrous-networks.com/ and https://exodushosting.net/ have been around for years now, and have proven to offer quality servers and great support for the price.

15. Maybe even get into a dedicated server?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Some hosts will transfer your server/files for you, as long as you're willing to give them the FTP information to your old host.

17. Most people will always go for the cheapest - however many of those return at a later time to ask for a new host, surprised that the one they chose in the first place was worse than expected. There's a lot to minecraft hosting, other than just mix a panel together with a paypal account. People usually just don't get that. Sometimes I wonder if hosts offering hosting at these low rates even make a decent profit.