How do I determine the power?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Mr_Jacksonville, Jun 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This drives me crazy.

Power Supplies: 2 x DELL 717W

What does that suppose to mean? It's 717 watts, right? Then what's the 2x for?

Also, when it says it comes with 2 power cords, are those mandatory power cords to plug in... or are they just there?

While you are here, would an Intel Xeon E3-1240 be a good processor for a rack server? I'm looking for something that would suit a low budget, but also satisfy Minecraft server players. I don't see any other processors that are cheap and good enough to satisfy me... What do you think?

2. I believe the 2x stands for redundancy power. Usually on high-end computers or servers, there is something called a redundant power supply which kicks in if the primary fails.

3. FrostedSnowman

Resource Staff

if you want to detect the power you need this:

[​IMG]

4. Servers usually have 2 power supplies just in case 1 of them fails, this is standard practice.
    This also means that you have to plugin in both of your power supplies to the wall, even though only one of them will be actually powering the server.
    As for the CPU, an Intel Xeon E3-1240 is quite an old CPU, i could probably power a couple of large minecraft servers just fine, but don't expect to get much more than that, of course a lot of it also depends on your ram.
    Mind linking me to the server you want to buy?

5. Strahan

Benefactor

You typically don't have to plug them both in; just have to accept that if they aren't both plugged in you'll have a warning condition tripped on the server display (if so equipped) and any monitoring packages.

6. Alright. Thanks for the help guys! :)

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.