How do I fix lighting issues like this?

Discussion in 'Spigot Discussion' started by Puremin0rez, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puremin0rez

I seem to always have this problem and never does it fix itself

For some reason, using WorldEdit or VoxelSniper or any plugin that does block changes in bulk causes lighting glitches like the following picture:

[​IMG]

It seems like the roof that has been set from WorldEdit doesn't actually "exist" and light passes straight through it.

I have tried placing torches etc to attempt to "relight" chunks but it simply doesn't work.

Any suggestions? This is horribly annoying and is ruining my PVP arenas :)

(The picture is from the Overworld)

2. SuperSpyTX

Supporter

Does it work if you just simply right click the blocks or relog? In other words, is it only temporary or is it permanently like that.

3. Puremin0rez

I can "fix" it by placing torches (and right clicking, yeah) around the area and removing them - but relogging will bring back this same issue.

My reis minimap doesn't even acknowledge there is a roof there (which is probably WHY the light shines past the roof) - I've had this problem since like 1.3ish

4. SuperSpyTX

Supporter

Sounds like the light in the chunks aren't getting sent to the client on initial chunk loads.

5. Puremin0rez

I was able to fix 80% of the "pass thru light" issues by dumping water buckets on the roof that I WorldEdit-ed.

Is there a better, more proper way to accomplish this? It appears as if doing bulk block updates such as water flowing fixes the issue - could this be simulated via command? Is there a reason why WE isn't doing this for me?

6. md_5

Administrator Developer

Did you perhaps turn //fast on by accident?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Puremin0rez

Nope, didn't even know the command existed.

8. md_5

Administrator Developer

Try turning random light updates back on in bukkit.yml (its the only change we make to lighting)

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Puremin0rez

They've been on for quite some time now - could you please make a way to "force" light updates in radius via command? I always appear to have some strange lighting issues that don't "resolve" themselves for real life days - presumably until MC automatically runs its light update magic.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ! bump !
    Yes I know this is grave digging but I need to know if this was either added or was fixed.

11. This problem is caused by Minecraft itself so it will be pretty hard to fix it over Spigot. All what "randomlightupdates" (still exists) does is obviously randomly update lights which causes more server load/lag.

12. Bestle

Patron

Use one of the only good features of NoLagg, the lighting fixer.

13. Puremin0rez

For those who cared, the lighting issues were cause by the (no longer existent) aggregate chunk ticks feature. WorldEdit wouldn't update lighting properly sometimes due to that. You can (mostly) fix lighting issues like this by setting some blocks over it, then removing them. Doesn't always work though, especially when dealing with things such as putting roofs over giant areas.

I still would like to see something such as the NoLagg lighting fixer in Spigot though...

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. i was having the same problem, also you need to know this problem causes many lag. The only way to fix it is only one way, try to use NoLagg plugin which needs BkcommonLib, but the problem with bkcommonlib makes some errors sometimes with essentials.

15. Shit that is one buggy server...

16. I found that there is a air block emitting light once a block is placed in that spot it disappears. thats why filling the area with an emitting light block. like water works. but any block will work just as well.
    This only seems to work with the lighting bug and don't know how to fix the shadows

17. It's your client's bug, try reinstall minecraft. I had this problem, but it's inverted. My game is didn't load the dark, everywhere bright. I reinstalled the game, and it's solved. Sorry for my english, I learning it :D I hope you understand this text...

18. That necro.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. It is not client side. I'm having issues like this too and other clients see exactly the same thing. Furthermore you can for example modify the lighting of a block on the server side. Like make it completely dark or bright and the client will render it like that. So either the server hasn't updated lighting or the client hasn't received any packets.

20. Mate, this post is like 5 months old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.