How do I host a network on OVH.com?

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by AmirehGamer, Apr 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,
    Recently, I have decided to move to OVH because the performance is good and doesn't cause any lag. I chose the 'EG-64' plan on https://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/. The problem is, I don't the steps to make it as a Minecraft BungeeCord server. Can anyone help me with that?

Thanks

2. If I were you I would just hire someone from the "System Administrators" section to do this because there are multiple complex steps.

3. I can't post there.

4. Just go to the offering area of that forum and reply to an already created thread of an active Sys. Admin. Honestly though, I would just do it yourself. It's quite simple really, just search how to run Minecraft through a dedicated server and that's about it. Make sure you select the operating system that it tells you to use and it's pretty straight forward from there.

5. simpleauthority

Supporter

Horrible advice if they know nothing and want to make a serious network. For a hobbyist, sure. But this doesn't seem like someone who is just a hobbyist. I wouldn't go around giving this sort of advice to people unless you really realize what it is you're recommending.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Thanks for that. Nice to know you thought it was horrible advice. I was just trying to be simple and comment on what I thought as a simple explanation. For any new server owner, they should have as much creativity to be able to pick from all the options they need in a dedicated server. If anything, it was a simple comment that could *possibly*, maybe help him out. But thanks for the constructive criticism, helps me and the OP out.

Anyways, my point originally was to just state what I thought and it wasn't very in depth at all and didn't really cover what you were asking, so since I have free time, I'll try and help here.

I believe that the E-64 is a smart choice, however, choosing from the Enterprise server options and the SP-XX Series dedicated servers are probably better. They are simple, and come with a good amount of RAM and a good CPU for hosting. The base server is half the price and has only 32GB instead of the 64GB included in the E-64. 64GB is not necessarily needed, even for a big server that has a couple servers and hosts a good amount of players.
    Let's say you want to have 4 main servers, a hub, and a BungeeCord. Only using 6GB per server, around 2GB for the hub, and around 1GB (which isn't even needed for the BungeeCord, only about 512MB is needed for that for a semi-large 50-60 players all time server). This is a perfect setup as all 32GB aren't even used in this analogy anyways.

Setting up the dedicated servers isn't too difficult, just choose from the Operating Systems that you're somewhat familiar with, and you can set these servers up on various ports. That part is pretty simple. Once you do all of this, creating batch files to select the certain amount of RAM for each servers and run them can be found somewhere on the internet.

About BungeeCord: it basically is set up as it's own server, and the config is straight forward as well. Only around 512MB to a GB is necessary. From there with these Config's you can be creative and set these servers up however you want. There are also plugins for Bungee that can modify how it works exactly.

From this simple advice I gave you, I'm sorry if I didn't go as in depth as you need, but if you have any more questions you can still ask more people in the thread or message me. I'll be happy to help. I just attempted to give you a quick summary.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. If you want hire me Ill take care of it all for you.

• 10 lobby worlds in one sub-server: 3 GB RAM.
    • Proxy RAM: 1 GB.
    • 10 sub-servers each with 4 GB of RAM.
    • 1 mini-game sub-server that will have so many worlds in it. 7 GB of RAM.
    I think that I'm enough for that EG-64 plan. Am I?

8. Yes, you definitely are! I didn't really know what you had in mind. Actually though, compare the SP-128 to the E-64:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Not much cheaper, but it counts. The only difference is the vRack, which is a 'virtual rack'. Basically, I believe it separates your server from the others virtually: (you can investigate whether you are interested in this or not here: https://www.ovh.com/us/solutions/vrack/network-technology.xml
    [​IMG]

It's up to you honestly, they both have the same amount of RAM and the same CPU, so whether you think you need this will save a small amount of money.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yeah but don't we need the vRack for the BungeeCord? Plus shall I keep the hard disk to Softraid 2x2TB, or change it? The EG-64 plan supported 2x2TB. Side note, what do those this hard disk to the server?

10. Splazeing

Supporter

Grab a freelance system administrator from spigot forums. They can help you with lots of things regarding your dedicated server. If you want it very easy make them install Multicraft. I'd recommend @clx_

11. Vrack is useless unless you plan on having multiple dedi's. For setting it up, I suggest using pterodactyl panel. Follow their docs and ask for help in their discord if you get stuck. There's also several people on this forum that I'm sure would happily do it for free, including myself.

EDIT: If you do end up using pterodactyl, I suggest having a domain on hand so you can use the ssl features.

12. Okay so after I buy the plan what do I do next?

13. As soon as you buy it, you'd want to setup some simple security. You'd want to disable passwords and get an ssh key for root. Though, this is off-topic, please pm me on spigot or discord ( PiggyPiglet#0713 ) if you'd like to go further.

14. Daniel_

Supporter

OVH is not a minecraft hosting service, its a VPS hosting service. To use it you simply buy a server, install Apache and Multicraft or use regular console windows.. Up to you. After that all you need to do is start some server on random ports and there you go, you got youreself a network. I believe you can find detaild guids on how to install BungeeCord on a VPS server online.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. GaIaxy

Supporter

Above people are stranded on an island and thirsty, thus really confused.

In all honesty, it's not that bad.

Step One - Buying the server
    You'll want to get a server from OVH.

Step Two - Installing the OS
    After that's all set and done, you'll want to go to your control panel.
    At the top, you'll want to click "Install" at the top-ish of the page. (I already installed, but it'll be here)
    They will send you an email with the IP, username (usually root), and password.

Step Three - Getting SSH
    If you're on Mac or Linux, you can simply open terminal and do ssh [email protected]
    It'll ask for your password, just enter it there.

If you're on Windows, then I suggest getting PuTTy.
    Download the program, extract to your desktop.
    Open PuTTy client up, and you'll see something like this.
    Enter the IP address and port, as seen in the image here.

It'll now open up a screen similar to this.
    Enter your password, as sent in the email from OVH.

Step Four - Running Commands
    Granted you installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (preferred OS), the steps are as follows
    Code (Text):
    sudo apt-get update
    Code (Text):
    sudo apt-get install default-jdk
    Code (Text):
    sudo apt-get install screen
    Code (Text):
    sudo apt-get install git
    Code (Text):
    sudo apt-get install nano
    Code (Text):
    mkdir spigot
    Code (Text):
    cd home/username/spigot
    Code (Text):
    mkdir buildtools
    Code (Text):
    cd home/username/buildtools
    Code (Text):
    curl -o BuildTools.jar https://hub.spigotmc.org/jenkins/job/BuildTools/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/BuildTools.jar
    Code (Text):
    git config --global --unset core.autocrlf
    Code (Text):
    java -jar BuildTools.jar
    Code (Text):
    cp home/spigot/spigot-1.*.jar home/username/spigot
    Code (Text):
    cd home/username/spigot
    Code (Text):
    nano start.sh
    Code (Text):

#!/bin/sh

java -Xmx1G -jar spigot-1.*.jar
    Code (Text):
    chmod +x start.sh
    Code (Text):
    ./start.sh
    Step Five - FTP / File Management
    To manage files, download FileZilla here.
    Enter the IP address, username, password, and port (usually 22) as seen here.
    Navigate to your files as seen here.
    Enjoy! You can edit files, add directories, etc.

* Commands might vary based on OS version, etc. *
    ** It's best advised to disable root login, change SSH port, and create another user **

#17 GaIaxy, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.