How many gigs do i need to host 100 players?

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by Mazikro, Oct 4, 2018.

1. CPU: Intel i7-6700K - 4c/8t - 4GHz /4.2GHz
    RAM: 32GB DDR4 2133 MHz
    Disks: SoftRaid 2x480GB SSD

How many gigs do i need to allocate on this dedi server to host 100 players lag free?

2. I would say somewhere in around 8-10gb should do it but I could be wrong.

3. Well 50 MB would be enough for one player but it depends on what plugins are on the server and what is being cache to memory for each of the players. So over 4.9 GB RAM.

4. Depends on plugins, worlds, optimizations, etc.
    You just can't compare 100 players spread over many worlds with many plugins, with having them all in a same place with no big plugins

5. As you don't provide any information about the server type, plugins and concept we can not give an accurate answer.

A server with an empty world and 0 plugins would not need more than around 1GB to hold 100 players in one location.
    But 1GB is not enough to host 100 players spread over a not pregenerated 50K x 50K map with 90 plugins and 2 active worlds.

It's like asking the fuel consumption without defining the car model.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Depends on the gamemode, plugins etc. A few tips as well; Upping the ram will not always help lag - make sure your plugins are efficient, make sure chunk loading is not the issue as well as loads of entities. Sometimes, upping the ram too much will actually degrade the performance as the ram is just sat there doing nothing so try to allocate as much as you need. I set most of my servers to around 7-10 gb and then see how much is being used and how much is left and depending on that I may up it or lower it. :)

7. Depending on how much resources your server files take, you are safe to add maybe another 4 GB for player consumption. So if your Minecraft server's file takes up 2, or maybe 4 GB, try to find a server with 6 - 8 GB of RAM. Although RAM isn't always the answer for lag, try to locate your server in the place closest to your target player base. Let's say, if your players are in Europe, don't purchase servers located in the United States, because your players will get a lower ping which effects the quality of their gameplay experience. Again, there are many other factors on how much a server can handle besides RAM, although it's one of the most significant.

8. Depending on plugin, but 6 to 10gb will do.

9. 5 GB can do it.

10. 5-7GB will do it

11. A good CPU is also probably needed as well. Your CPU should be able to keep up with the amount of RAM given.