How much bandwidth does a player use?

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by killerline, Mar 5, 2015.

1. (I don't know if I posted this in the right thread but hey, yolo :) )
    Hay!
    I just wondered how much RAM (in mbytes please) and Bandwidth (also in mbits please) a player uses. And how I can configure/ optimize to have more players on my server at the same time.
    And if your so kind and got the guts than you could also calculate how many players I can run in total.
    Here's my specs:
    Speed: 70 / 8.2
    RAM: 16 GB Ram 2000 Mhz (on my pc, not the server. But you tell me how much I need :) )
    CPU: i7 4770k (OC'd at 4.3 Ghz)
    Java 8 Update 31 (both 32/ 64 bit)
    Plugins: About, 30?
    It's going to be a community server, where players will be like, free =)
    Anything more just ask!

EDIT: It's not going to be Bungee, maybe only like multi-world, like disable the end and like add 1-2 worlds only.. And not so much of those flashy-new-awesomeness plugins..

#1 killerline, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  2. TitanicFreak

Patron

Few things,

One, I really don't suggest home hosting, especially since in this day and age where almost everyone has a booter that can easily generate 1+Gbps of traffic.

Two, it is literally impossible to figure out how much a player will use in RAM and Bandwidth, as every server is different. If you want a safe amount, 100MB per player, and 1Mbps per player, that is literally worst possible case and I recommend using it as a guideline.

Three, Optimizing that, I just recommend not locally hosting at all, it is literally the best way to have downtime. If you still want to home host, here's some suggestions

• Lower view distance
    • Keep particle amount low
    • Keep mob count low
    • Keep players close together, so they all share "chunks"
    • Make sure chunks are constantly unloading
    If you wanted some plugins to help you,

• ClearLagg
    • ChunkSpawnerLimiter
    Hopefully I helped you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Are you crazy?! 1Mbps per player? Even I know that sound a little unbelievable.. (No offense or anything but) But I can buy that it's almost 100MB per player (maybe 70?). And your really bringing me down here, as I forgot to mention this is going to be a small community that I would like to have like, around 30-50 players online at the same time. And I don't really think it's going to be minigames, just a guess. Maybe towny or factions only, dunno. Not decided yet. And do you know a guide that would help me optimize Spigot? 'Cause I'm not too good with it, like configs and such.. Thank you! And is a view distance at 6-8 good?

EDIT: And to be honest, I don't think anyone would DDOS a small community server with 1Gbps, you know, such stuff costs money =S .

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Downgrade to JRE7

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Did you not see, that is literally worst possible case in there? I don't see how you thought that discouraging, I thought that piece of advice was helpful.

6. Haha, Good joke.
    You should be able to host roughly about 20 players. Give the server around 2-3GB and you should be fine. Limiting factor is your upload. Around 10-12MBPS should do a good 30-35, although you may be pushing it at times.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. I'd say worst case is around .5MBPS/player. It all depends on what's going on, If they're all grieifing with TnT Going off all over... That's going to be a huge hit. I have yet to determain what this requires.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  8. 1Mbps per player might be asking too much, I'd say 128kbps - 256kbps.

As for RAM I'd say 50-100MB per player.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. The 150% of the plugins are not compatible with JRE 8.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Java 8 is backwards compatible. Plugins which work with JRE 7, will also work with 8.

I agree with @redfrosting, from my experience one player uses 10KB/s average.

#10 Aron, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. at join or world change will use max 5MBps and then walking and loading chunks ~ 128kbps to 256kpbs

12. 30 players is asking a lot from home hosting. I hope you have good upload bandwidth. You gotta remember you use your internet for other things too! Every large download, every Netflix video, every youtube video, will ALL have to share bandwidth with your MC server. You can pretty easily knock players offline yourself! Survival/factions is the worst as far as machine performance goes. Players spread out, load a bunch of separate chunks (RAM usage), and then build their mob grinders (CPU usage), etc all separately. Not so bad if few are online, but gets worse with just a couple more players.

lol, aren't you in for a surprise... They'll do it just because they can, or worse, to harass you into giving them staff. It's the #1 reason I can never recommend home hosting. We get hit all the time, but DDoS protection kicks in, they get no results, and move on. With a home-hosted server, they do get results, and come back for more just because they know they can. On top of that, its not a hosted server you can just shrug and say "it'll come back up when they stop," it is your home internet, so you're entirely cutoff until they stop! Then your whole family is pissed because Netflix won't load.

I get a good chuckle before I ban someone after they say "op me or I'll take down the serber!"

#12 Absentee23, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. TitanicFreak

Patron

1Mbps per player is entirely possible, just takes enough effects. Also I did say it is worst case, my record bandwidth per player was very close to 10Mbps. Drop parties are amazing.

There are several guides on these forums about how to go around optimizing the spigot.yml. I personally just search for a random one these days.

View distance at 6-8 should be fine, I recommend 5 though if you really want a good balance of everything.

In regards your edit, you can get a booter that is able to produce like 10Gbps worth of traffic for 10 dollars, it is literally dirt cheap, tools like that are so common these days that not having ddos protection is entirely stupid.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Hahahahah, best one today ;)

No, that wasn't the "discouraging" part. And yes, it was a advice but not a good one for s starter like me.. 8 players on my server at the same time? Wouldn't think so.

I think it would be capable of around 30-40 players with a little to no lag :)

Well, no they aren't (I hope). I though of a little peaceful community where people get to build like freely and such. And they won't explore so much tho..

HERE'S someone who knows what he's talking about.. And like the only one who answered my question correctly... So if I calculated that right.. 200 (kbps, I thought this would be the average use, maybe?) * 20 (players) = 4000 (kbps, like 4Mbps). And if we double that 20 to 40 it's = 8000 Kbps (8Mbps) so around 40 players =)

As @Aron said, Java 8 is backward compatible =)

I agree with the both of you =D :D

QUOTE="Absentee23, post: 592419, member: 11600"]30 players is asking a lot from home hosting. I hope you have good upload bandwidth. You gotta remember you use your internet for other things too! Every large download, every Netflix video, every youtube video, will ALL have to share bandwidth with your MC server. You can pretty easily knock players offline yourself! Survival/factions is the worst as far as machine performance goes. Players spread out, load a bunch of separate chunks (RAM usage), and then build their mob grinders (CPU usage), etc all separately. Not so bad if few are online, but gets worse with just a couple more players.

lol, aren't you in for a surprise... They'll do it just because they can, or worse, to harass you into giving them staff. It's the #1 reason I can never recommend home hosting. We get hit all the time, but DDoS protection kicks in, they get no results, and move on. With a home-hosted server, they do get results, and come back for more just because they know they can. On top of that, its not a hosted server you can just shrug and say "it'll come back up when they stop," it is your home internet, so you're entirely cutoff until they stop! Then your whole family is pissed because Netflix won't load.

I get a good chuckle before I ban someone after they say "op me or I'll take down the serber!"[/QUOTE]
    You may have a point but still... If it all goes to hell then I'll just shutdown the server. And I think myself that a i7 4770k 4.2Ghz is capable of like 30 players with some spawners and such.. And RAM aswell, I have 16GB 2000Mhz of that so I think that's not anything to worry about.. And DDoS, sure, everyone here's right. But I don't care, as said, if all goes to hell, I'll just take down the server.

Yes I know it's POSSIBLE but that's not what I'm after.. And I'm sorry for not seeing you "worst case scenario" text, thingy. And view distance at 5 sound good to me. =)

15. Hardward just isn't the issue at all. Of course an i7+16GB ram will run the server fine, but the network will not hold up transferring all the data. It's 100% your network that will be the problem. And your Minecraft server doesn't have to be running to be attacked by DDoS. All they need is your IP address (which you will be advertising to get people on your server), so don't just think you can shutdown the MC server and instantly your network will be back, you STILL have to wait for them to stop.

16. JamesJ

Supporter

You may have a point but still... If it all goes to hell then I'll just shutdown the server. And I think myself that a i7 4770k 4.2Ghz is capable of like 30 players with some spawners and such.. And RAM aswell, I have 16GB 2000Mhz of that so I think that's not anything to worry about.. And DDoS, sure, everyone here's right. But I don't care, as said, if all goes to hell, I'll just take down the server.

Yes I know it's POSSIBLE but that's not what I'm after.. And I'm sorry for not seeing you "worst case scenario" text, thingy. And view distance at 5 sound good to me. =)[/QUOTE]
    Love it how you ask for advice, but you're just telling everyone they're wrong or mocking them..
    You are telling some of the best system admins and server owners I know, that they're wrong..

Regards, DDoS'ing. Anyone can get DDoS'ed. It's not worth taking the risk. Buy some hosting, even if it is the devil's child, shared hosting..

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Love it how you ask for advice, but you're just telling everyone they're wrong or mocking them..
    You are telling some of the best system admins and server owners I know, that they're wrong..

Regards, DDoS'ing. Anyone can get DDoS'ed. It's not worth taking the risk. Buy some hosting, even if it is the devil's child, shared hosting..

Mocking them? When? The only thing I know I said was that I'm not after the worst case scenario or that a player can use up to 10Mbit. I was after how many players I was capable of/ how much bandwidth one player uses. 2 out of 6 people answer'd that question... But tho they gave me good advice (most of them at least) and told me good stuff that's good to know =) . But I still don't see your point

EDIT: And I didn't ask for advice, just asked as said, how much one player bla bla bla... But.. I asked for advice for a good GUIDE, that's all I asked for =)

18. I don't understand why people don't grab a cheap 256MB shared server, and run Bungee on it. It'll save you these DDoS hassles, and you'll still be able to self-host. If anything just grab a budget VZ VPS and toss Bungee on it, It'll cost you less than $12/Year and you'll have a 25565 Port.

19. Close to what I do, traffic goes thru staminus before hiting my network. 100 players on a plot server with 10megs is possible with no particle plugins or stuff that adds aditonal bandwidth. :D of course if everyone is joining your server at the same time that will be an issue. Adjust your view distance also.

20. You're running 100 players on 10MBPS? PM me the IP, I'm curious over how well this works.

Particle effects aren't something I've used much before.