How much bandwidth does a player use?

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by killerline, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Lol and now my server is pretty dead.

2. Bandwidth usage depends on your network compression threshold and pps that send players.

In my server i have a 80 nct that means every packet will be of 64 - 79 bites and a normal user sends 40 packets per second and in worst cases 180 pps , this means every player will take about 10kb of upload Bandwidth and a little download (i never tested how many download speed they take).

You should optimize your server decreasing chunks and that sort of things if you want players to send less packets and save bandwidth.

Oh... And something important: if you have low upload , rate limit connections per second and set connection throttle to 2000 - 4000 because too many connections at time will make the internet work harder so its better to limit connections and process them separately so you can let the internet "breath"

Hope this worked for everyone who wanted some info :)

3. RDN

RDN

testing with 1.14.3 shows that chunk loading while sprinting in survival can use from 600kbps and 1mbps. Standing in one place idle usually takes less than 100kbps upload and download combined.

4. With compression threshold reduced you can reduce that to 1/8 of bandwidth, at the cost of more cpu usage.

I personally let it default and use a high bandwidth host, but making this changes can make the connection from players to the server better as you compress the packets sent to them. (Nothing to do with the packets they send btw, so if they have low upload speed this wont work)

5. I've worked with servers of all sorts of sizes, here is what they used:

5,000+ Player Networks -- 64GBof RAM on a Dedicated Server (Typically from OVH)
    1,000+ Player Sever -- 32GB of RAM on a Dedicated Server (Typically from OVH)
    500+ Player Server -- 4GB to 8GB of RAM on a VPS (Usually comes with SSD as well)

6. This is about bandwidth, not ram.

7. Apologies, but from your original post it appeared that you were asking about both.