How much of Java do you need to know to be able to start making Bukkit plugins?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by HarleySwifty, May 13, 2017.

1. How much do you need to know? Like only the basic ints, chars, Strings etc? Constructors??

2. Choco

You should have a basic grasp of the Java language before doing anything with the Bukkit API. If you're capable of creating a standalone application in Java, then you should be fine. Some concepts you should have a firm understanding of are:
    • Object Oriented Programming practices / features (Polymorphism, Inheritance, Encapsulation and Abstraction)
    • The basics of an Object and its instance (i.e. instantiation, constructors, fields, etc.)
    • Primitives and common methods / classes. Know your way around the language at least a little bit
    • Proper usage of static and various other modifiers (public, private, final, abstract, interface... excluding more precise ones such as strictfp and volatile)
    • Basic design of a Java project. How should things be structured? Are you creating a well-structured project, or sloppily throwing code everywhere?
    • DRY concepts, which kind of ties into OOP practices... but read up on it anyways
    • How to properly read a stacktrace and debug in order to resolve your own issues when they arise. Forums should be a last resort
    Others will say that a few more features are important, and I'm sure that I'm forgetting a few, but know your way around the language so you're not struggling on every single problem you encounter. Your biggest friend is Google, so don't be afraid to use it. Stackoverflow is an answer goldmine to try and fix issues regarding various programming languages, including Java.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Thank you so much for this, I'm taking a free java course on https://www.sololearn.com/Play/Java, I'm gonna try and go over it like twice every week or something.
    Thanks. :)