How much RAM would u suggest for starting a semi vanilla server?

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by SaitamaYT, May 26, 2017.

1. I'm getting a server from ExtraVM

2. I suggest the 2GB plan at max.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gianluca

Gianluca Retired Resource Staff
    Retired Patron

Depends what you mean by semi vanilla. If it's a private server and you don't need all those fancy plugins, 2GB (as @BrettplayMC said) would work. However, dependent on your opinion of semi vanilla, 3-4GB would be perfect with all those block logging plugins, anti grief plugins, and the like whilst maintaining a small playerbase at 19-20TPS.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. ok thank u I will go for 4GB

5. From my personal experience I'd suggest about 1.5GB. Or if your feeling optimistic about your server, 6GB will back you up! :p

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. There is no 1.5 GB plan on ExtraVM. Also, 6GB seems a bit much for a vanilla server.

7. Well I will be using grief protection plugin since this is semi vanilla, so yea

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Choco

I ran a semi-survival server a couple years back and 2GB was always sufficient enough. I never had any issues with TPS drops or anything of the sort. I had about 25 plugins total which included GriefPrevention, WorldEdit and CoreProtect. Of course, running large WorldEdit tasks were a bit of an issue, but on a semi-vanilla server, you won't be doing much of those. If you want to be safe, 3GB is perfectly fine, but you can run just as well with 2GB of RAM.

9. Gaxan

Supporter

I ran 4GB on my semi-vanilla with 18 plugins. Never had a TPS issue even with 48 players online.
    You could try less and upgrade if needed.

10. 1 GB is probably too small for semi survival, unless you enjoy having 15 TPS. I'd probably go 1.5 if this is a mostly private place, but as said EVM only has plans by the gigabyte, so 2 GB is probably best.

11. latiku

Supporter

I'm sure Mike would help him out with that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Already got my server :D 6 GB RAM and I'm happy with it :)

• Like Like x 1