How Much Would More RAM Help This Situation?

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by Joedon, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Hey,

Currently running a 4GB server through BisectHosting. Some players have upwards of 10,000 hoppers on their plot, and the TPS can sometimes drop to 18, rarely to 15 (but both of these drops are like spikes and very noticable). I was looking into upgrading to a 32GB Kimsufi server.

I don't know much about these stats and how they affect Minecraft, but would it help with handling all those hoppers?

Thanks, and if you have any suggestions for another host/option please let me know.

2. Kimsufi only has 1 CPU that is decent for Minecraft, and at that, it's pretty bad. You'll have better performance with your current host. If you're on a budget, look a SoYouStart's game lineup, or Hetzner's EX lineup

• Like Like x 1
  3. I don't think more RAM would help much at all. How many players are on when you notice the lag?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Normally the server never drops more than 0.05 tps. The server can have 20 players just fine, but when one of these players with ridiculously stupid sized farms goes to their plot, it can drop up to 5 tps just from that one player.

Someone told me more ram would help with the issue (since the lag is just from their huge piston/hopper autofarms), so I was just checking here. Is there even a way to fix this without deleting the plot?

5. I do not think more ram actually helps you, if you have atleast 1 - 2 gigs of ram unused then i do not see any need to upgrade, a similar situation happened to me, i just bought a dedi with the same resources on a better machine, i recommend buying a new server with better hardware, ask your provider what specs their systems have, try and find a host with better specs, thats the best option.

6. The easiest way is to lower the tick rate at which the hoppers transfer the items. Make it four to eight times slower than normal but make it transfer four to eight times more items per action. This will save you both on performance, lag, and resources. If you have any questions, let me know.

7. I think the problem is CPU-limited, not RAM-limited.

You can try the hopper tick change, but I think the solution is to tell the players not to build ridiculous farms like that and to get rid of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. One of the farms is so huge, it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Looks like that on all 4 sides, it also goes 64 blocks into the ground.

Which of these components is lagging the server the most:
    the cactus growing/breaking on fences
    the hoppers
    the smelters (for getting cactus green dye)
    or pistons/minecarts

I have no clue what to do about it, can't just remove it as they put a ton of work into it. Just wondering if 4GB would be good enough at Bisect anyways (premium plan if that matters).

9. #9 Bobcat00, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  10. I've used SYS and it's ok for $40 I guess, we had no DDoS protection when we used it.

11. Definitely a CPU issue! As soon as you find a host with a faster cpu that is known for running servers, then you'll be fine. It may cost a little more, but bigger servers can run with hundreds of players on one server. Hope this helps!