How to auto-update a plugin?

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by gabber200, May 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. For my plugin, I want it to auto update. I know that it is possible but I don't know how. It's an API for my plugins and I have it on a lot of servers but now it's hard to update my plugin on every single server. Maby it's possible to have my plugin on a platform like dropbox, if it is possible I don't want it on a platform like spigot or bukkit because of that I don't publish my other plugins and the API itself doesn't do anything. So it's useless without my other plugins.
    So is there a way to auto-update my plugin?

2. A simple google search yields multiple results like this or this

3. I am going to take a look at it, tnx for replying

4. that plugin updater API looks good but how works it with drop box?

5. I think you can, just test it, but as the page says, it is better to use a host or something. It could even be your computer with a http server installed, I use XAMPP

6. I looked at that host he described but I didn't know how to make it work with a plugin updater.

8. nemarche pas

9. I suggest not using auto update , instead just show there is a next higher version.
    Why?
    Cause it may break the plugin since your old config and latest plugin won't have a compability. There would be a chance that the customer won't like the update but it will always force him to download. So even if you add auto update make sure you have a true or false option in config.
    Just a tip.

10. You necro'd this, dude. And saying "do not work" in whatever god-forsaken language that is doesn't help anything.
    Let the thread die, it's from 5/11/2016. Though, to say the least, you could code backwards-compatibility in your plugin... it'd just be a pain to maintain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.