How to improve connection (need advice)

Discussion in 'Gaming Lounge' started by Perotin, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Hello Spigot,

I am looking to see how I can improve my wifi without moving my router / modem box. I play my games in my basement, but my wifi is located upstairs and the connection is not good for gaming. What I mean by this is that every ~1 hour I'd get disconnected from whatever game I'm playing due to my wifi cutting out for a few seconds.

I've tried using a plug-in wifi booster which has helped, but not enough. This could be just that my booster is crappy, but I'm still posting this for insight from others anyways. And no, I cannot run an ethernet cable from my router to my xbox because I'd need a lot of cable to do this and it'd be trailing throughout my house.

2. Sounds like you need to get a better router or maybe change some settings on it.

3. foncused

Moderator Patron

What hardware do you have (router, wireless card/adapter, etc.)?

Some options:
    • If the router is dual-band, switch between 2.4 and 5 GHz and determine which is better - the 2.4 GHz band is often congested because it is what people use in most places (this is more applicable if you have lots of neighbors, like me)
    • If you have only 802.11n adapters, try setting wireless mode to N and channel width to 40 MHz
    • Switch the channel you are using if it is congested
    • Adjust or configure settings such as QoS, TX & RX, etc.
    • Get a better wireless card/adapter, bigger antenna, etc.

4. You surely can find some Programms online which help you to achieve this. But if they work idk.

5. Have you considered ethernet over power?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Could you not like buy a accesspoint/router and put it closer towards your basement

7. Most of them don't.

If you can, I'd try to get an ethernet connection routed to your PC, or get a second router as a relay of your main one, and locate that close to your PC.

8. This. Also known as Powerline Networking.

9. use ethernet, or go to cmd prompt and type "ipconfig /flushdns"

10. Ethernet is good way to solve it. If you are from the US there is a software called haste. I havent used it myself however it is meant to be good. Also try changing your ghz from 2.4 to 5