How to use SRV with minecraft servers to link to a non-dedicated port?

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by emkirsh1a, Sep 1, 2019.

1. So, idk if this is the right area to make this thread, but essentially what I'm trying to do is have something listen on port 25565 and have my dns redirect it to a non-dedicated port. I currently have a dedicated port but I want it on a non-dedicated so I can connect to it. I'm going to a school, and their wifi blocks outgoing port 25565, along with other gaming ports, so we can only play on LAN because it uses less bandwidth. the cell reception isn't great, so I'd rather just connect via a different port, but I don't want others (located outside the school) to have to. I know this is possible, as I've seen hosts that give you a non-dedicated IP so if you want to forward your own domain to it you have to enter a port, but also have a custom subdomain that advertises their own hosting company (i.e. yourserver.host.com) where you don't need to enter a port. Does anyone know if there's a way to do this while listening on 25565 instead of 80?

2. You could use a VPN. Otherwise it depends where the server is hosted. If it's linux you can do something with IPTables/routes I think

3. Thanks. I'm not there yet. I still have a week left of summer. I found out from an admin of my host that it's SRV that makes it redirect the port. I tried two VPNs that both wouldn't go through last year, and I was like, "instead of spending all this money on blocking gaming and all sorts of advanced VPNs that exist for this very purpose, you could get more bandwidth so there's no need to block it." apparently, there's already a lot of bandwidth and there didn't use to be blocked ports, but when everyone went online at once to play together, and one person didn't finish their work yet, the network essentially shut that one person out because there was too much going through at once, so they couldn't do their work. Then they had to make it LAN worlds only, which would be fine, but for me wanting to play with my friends from "the outside world." I do still have (at least) one VPN left to try, this one claiming that it can hide from routers. Hopefully, the SRV will work because I don't want to disrupt other's school work. I just want to play with everyone!

4. Whether you're on a dedicated IP or not, you can always link your server's IP to your domain. If you had a non-25565 port then you need to create an A Record along with an SRV Record. (But you just only use A record if you had 25565.)

However, since you said your school blocks ports such as 25565, it renders using the domain is useless since you're still connecting to a numerical IP address along with 25565 port of course!

The solution I've seen when I did back in school was either the following:
    • Use a VPN (Highly Recommended and the easiest as it adds a few bits more latency depending on your school's firewall over it too but if you don't care then go ahead.)
    • Use Minecraft's built-in Multiplayer LAN (You've said you wanted to play with friends in school assuming they're all on the same WiFi network as yours, pretty sure your school's firewall wouldn't affect it. Well at least I didn't for me.)
    • Manual Migration (One of the hardest choices, play with your friends on LAN and then once you home upload the world back to your server online (typically a hosting provider) and continue the progress there if you really want to resume progress after school of course.)
    There's a few more that I can think of but let me know how that goes out for you.

5. This might be a bit of a hacky solution but you could try something like this:
    • Get a VPS from a provider that bills you by the hour (e.g. DigitalOcean)
    • Set up a TCP proxy that listens on a different port.
    • Connect to that
    • Profit!
    Here's a diagram:
    diagram.png

While this might be a bit complicated it should work. And because you can use a bill-per-hour provider you might only have to pay a few cents.

EDIT: This solution would only be for YOU. Regular visitors still connect via your regular server IP.

6. electronicboy

IRC Staff

Run a bungee proxy with two listeners, one on the default port and one-off some other; SRV records are unreliable, don't subject yourself to them if you don't have to

7. Sorry I've been offline for a while! I'll try these things but I can just play with my phone's hotspot because the cell service is bad inside, but it's 5 beams outside. It's not the same as a dedicated connection but it worked mostly fine the other night. I don't want to break the rules, because the reason they exist is so people can do their work. Honestly, my hotspot is way faster than the wifi when it's in the window. I tried the VPN ages ago, only OpenVPN is unblocked because port 443 is pretty much unblockable at schools unless they want to mess up our schoolwork.

8. Why are SRV records unreliable? They are working fine for me when connecting normally (not on the schools wifi). It turns out all ports are blocked except the basic ones. I tried SSH tunnelling, no luck.

9. electronicboy

IRC Staff

not all ISPs handle SRV records too well, I couldn't say why outside of there just being crappy ISPs out there, but I've had many cases personally, and assisted many others in leading them to drop their SRV records to get stuff to actually work for some of their players

10. I think it's more likely to be some peoples' home routers. For example: https://superuser.com/questions/1236874/residential-router-interfering-with-srv-records

EDIT: Another random example found on the Net: "SRV record issue Motorola NVG589 - If my device utilizes the router as it's dns server ie 192.168.1.254, I don't get any response for dns SRV records, if I hard set the client to another dns server such as google 8.8.8.8 it works fine."

11. The thing is, it costs me $3 less per month, which I could easily use for other server-related things.

12. I wouldn't want to switch it back unless one of my (very few) players experienced a problem, otherwise it would be a waste. MANY other servers and hosts use SRV records, so I don't see much of a point in paying more just on a slight maybe that you said doesn't happen for most people.