Huge Spam Bots waves at my forum!

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by Zaino60, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Zaino60

Supporter

Hello!
    I have a XenForo forum for my server (www.happy-hg.com/forum/), but lately it has been spammed by loads of spam bots DAILY! Every day non-stop, I would find in a random forum, threads of Bots advertising stuff and doing the normal bot behavior (The bot registers, posts thread(s) advertising something and then never ever log-ins back again)
    Furthermore, I've tried ALL THE POSSIBLE CAPTCHA WAYS to prevent these annoying pests from registering at my forums (http://gyazo.com/b2c1a1981974fbacb3d7f43c4fe63f25), but they keep doing it :(
    My Question was, how can I reduce/remove the amount of bots that register at my forum and spam it everyday? Is there a XenForo plugin or a special captcha configuration that stops them? Please Help!
    Thanks!

2. I've always used keycaptcha and have never really had issues. If I were to have issues, I make the first x posts of each person go under moderation and if it's spam, I just use the spam cleaner on them. Use user group promotions for this so it's all automatic. The only thing is having your mods update the mod queue so user's first x posts go through.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/moderate-users-first-set-of-posts.27481/

If you do that, you'll also want to batch update users that have already made x posts. If you go into the batch update page, it's pretty intuitive. By default, I have 'Registered User 'group's posts go under moderation then I have an 'Approved' group they get moved to after 3 approved posts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Zaino60

Supporter

I tried that but it didn't work. I just want to end with all bots registration. Any other ideas?

4. Sometimes there are people that do this and keycaptcha can't stop them.

5. If you're talking about posts like this: [​IMG]

Check out TPU: Detect and Block Spam Registrations on Xenforo. If you look at the spammers' countries, you'll probably notice that many of them are from the same countries. You can configure the add-on to block these countries directly, or you can set it so it automatically adds them to the moderation queue. Properly configuring the add-on should if not completely stop, greatly reduce the number of spammers that can post on your site.

6. There isn't going to be a perfect way which is why the moderated route works great. If you do happen to find a perfect way, I'm sure everyone on the xenforo community forums would be happy if you shared :)

7. Noble Pro

Ever since we added Minecraft username verification and made our CAPTCHA question related to Minecraft, we have not had a single bot register on our Forums in the two years that we have had it.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Zaino60

Supporter

Omg Minecraft user verification, that's a PERFECT IDEA! Thank you very much!

9. PhanaticD

Patron

same

• Agree Agree x 1