I'd like your opinions on an economy question

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by JacobCrofts, May 31, 2016.

1. Say player A offers to sell an item for $100. Later on, player B comes along and, without checking for the lowest price using a /price command, offers to buy the same item for $150.

We have a deal. The item will be transferred to player B, and at least $100 will be transferred to player A. But what should happen to the remaining $50? Should it be:
    • given to player A,
    • returned to player B
    • split between the two players
    ... and why?

Would your answer be any different if player A were buying an item for a high price, and then player B offered to sell the item for a low price?

I am less interested in how existing economy plugins handle this situation and more interested in what you think should happen.

2. The seller gets all the money.

3. I would make it so nothing happens. By that I mean: if the seller is selling for $100. And the buyer wants to buy, even if price is higher, the item will be bought for the sellers price.

4. But how does that makes sense? It's the buyer's fault for not using /price.

5. I am going to use Runescape as my example here. By the sounds of your system, you have a sort of Grand Exchange style economy. If the players were trading directly with each other, then of course the seller would take all the money because they have a buyer willing to pay more than their original price. However, in a market where the buyers and sellers don't see each other, like Runescape's grand exchange, all excess money goes back to the buyer so to keep the economy in a more stable state.

That is just how their economy system works. You could say it is the fault of the buyer for not checking the price, which is reasonable for economies where prices never change, but for economies where the prices are changing, I think giving all excess money should go back to the buyer is a better option.

6. He answered for me :p

7. I'm almost certain I have received money back as both a buyer and a seller on the GE. That was like... 6 years ago, so I might be wrong, but the top comment here seems to explain offer priority well (assuming it's accurate).

8. Makes sense. Just a matter of how advanced of a system OP wants to implement.

9. How does this sound:

A buy offer's price is a maximum. Upon creation, a buy offer will buy the items at the lowest available prices, so long as those prices do not exceed the buyer's price maximum, and refund the difference of each transaction to the buyer.

A sell offer's price is a minimum. Upon creation, a sell offer will sell the items to the highest bids, as long as those bids meet the minimum price requirement, and the seller will keep the extra money.

This stuff is harder to visualize and explain than I expected. The gist is that the older offer (i.e. the one that wasn't just created) establishes a final price, and any difference in price will be awarded to the newer offer. So in the example above, player B, despite being negligent and not using /price, would keep the extra $50 because A's price, having failed to fulfill upon creation, is final.

10. Whomever holds the item of sale at the time of the transaction receives all of the offered money in the sale.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I took an economics class. Whatever the seller offers is equal to or above his minimum price he is willing to sell the item for. The buyer's offer is lower or equal to the maximum he would pay for that item. If the seller is selling the item for $100, and the buyer doesn't know it and offers $150, then the seller deserves the money.

It's kind of like price discrimination (which is legal and no it isn't related to prejudice) where a seller can offer different prices to people depending on the intensity of their desire.

12. It really just depends on how you want your economy to run. There is no right or wrong way, it is all opinion (as your title states). If it were my economy, I'd first check to see if the item sold for higher or lower than the average price of the item. If the item sold for higher than the average price, then the buyer gets all the excess money. If it sold for lower than the average price then the seller gets any excess money. This way will keep the economy very simple and strongly force the prices to remain around their average value.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. In the example I provided, the buyer does know it, or at least has the ability to know it by using a /price command. But this doesn't have to be the case - in fact, I almost like the idea of a blind economy better.

This introduces the concept of an average/"market" price, which I had not originally meant to add, but I see why it would be useful. I may wind up taking this approach and removing the /price command altogether.

14. Not having an average market price while having the ability to use '/price' kind of contradict each other too I think. If you have the ability to use '/price', that means either, the server has hard set all the prices in which case there really isn't a point to giving the players the option to set buy or sell prices, or there isn't any sort of standardized economy and it is 100% player driven which wouldn't allow for '/price' because all the players as a collective dictate the price based on what the players decide they want to sell their items for.

15. Right now, /price loops through all existing unfulfilled sell offers and provides pricing information about the cheapest 10. All sell offers are completely transparent. There is no regulation at all, and no way for a player to tell if a price listing is realistic.

16. Ohhhhhh ok, I didn't realize your price command worked like that. This would be a extremely player driven economy then, and if it were me making this, I'd give any excess money to the seller because not doing '/price' to see what an item is worth is like going to a store and saying I have $100k for a pencil; the store clerk won't say "oh that pencil is only $1", they will take all the money you offer them. If you want to give some mercy to the buyers, you could give them a one-time warning or something if they attempt to buy an item way over the sell price. I assumed you had some sort of centralized economy system with some preset price values to have as a guideline, but if your economy is a barter-trade system and not a centralized economy system then, I think, all excess money goes to the seller.