Idle RAM 3GB - Timings help

Discussion in 'Spigot Help' started by Woodiie, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Hello, I have recently starter up a project from a month ago. I updated all the plugins and the server.jar(running paper 1.15.2), however the performance is horrible. I am running the configs according to this guide. The same goes for the java arguments.

Idle RAM Usage is 2-3GB after a couple of mins of starting up, according to /gc. I am not very experienced with timings, but as far as I can tell it is only something about chunks ticking.
    I would however appreciate another perspective on this.
    Here's the timings.
    AntiAFKPro*, BetterRTP*, BlockLocker, ChatReaction, ClearLag, CombatLogX, CrazyCrates, Essentials, EssentialsGeoIP, EssentialsSpawn, ezAuctions, HeadDatabase*, IronElevators*, LuckPerms, mcMMO, NerfPhantoms, PickupSpawners, PlaceholderAPI, PluginManager*, ProtocolLib, SimpleBackup*, TAB, Towny, TownyChat, TownyFlight, TownyNameUpdater, Vault, Vouchers

If no one happen to have any suggestions, I'll just go ahead and do the painful but necessary "remove one plugin at a time". This thread is just a shot in the dark to save me some time, in case someone has experienced this too :)

2. Is it really necessary to have more than 200 Minecart chests in parts of your world ._. Also not forgetting your 340+ sheep, 195+ pigs, 117+ cows, and last but not least, 390 chickens.
    upload_2020-2-24_17-22-24.png
    (NOT CHUNKS, DONT TP THERE)

Something else is, according to the timings, your running your server at the same ram as your Xmx, aka meaning your Xms is the same as Xmx, Xms is the value where your server starts on, I'm sure it doesn't need 6GB to power up the server. Change it to something like 128M can do, or 512M to be safer. When changing these values from GB to MB, it may require both your Xmx and Xms flags to be in MB form, so you can just change -Xmx to 6000M and -Xms to 128M or 512M. Your world_the_end seems to take the most time loading chunks. And according to timings there isn't really much on it except for end crystals, unless you have data there, it wouldn't hurt to reset only world_the_end, and best is after you reset, don't travel there to prevent the server from loading extra pointless chunks.

3. Interesting. The worlds are completely freshly loaded, I have not even joined the world truth be told. However it seems very unreasonable that there would be so many minecart chests just within the spawn chunks. I'll have to check that out, thanks.
    As for the XMS being at 6gb, that is simply because of this guide. I did not know any better, hence why it was that way. I will happily try out a lower xms though, in case you believe that could have some benefit.

4. Here's a funny story:
    This guide shows these as the starting flags:
    Code (Text):

java -Xms6G -Xmx6G -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=100 -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -XX:G1NewSizePercent=50 -XX:G1MaxNewSizePercent=80 -XX:G1MixedGCLiveThresholdPercent=35 -XX:+AlwaysPreTouch -XX:+ParallelRefProcEnabled -Dusing.aikars.flags=mcflags.emc.gs -jar paperclip.jar

and these are my starting flags:
    Code (Java):
     java -Xmx4050M -Xms500M -jar spigot.jar nogui
    There's honestly no need to put that many flags, most of these flags are used for some kind of troubleshooting like if the java garbage collector is having any trouble or other things, anything related to "GC" in the flags refers to the garbage collector.
    Out of all these, only -Xmx, -Xms and -jar is required, nogui basically makes the system not run with the server's GUI, according to this: (Just fyi, you don't really have to follow exactly)
    https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Setting_up_a_server#Configuring_from_the_command_line

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm quite sure the -Xms decides how hard your garbage collector is going to work, so keep it at a minimum, in your /gc, -Xms is labelled by "Allocated memory" according to Essentials. The -Xms is automatically increased by the Java machine whenever your server needs more memory, so there's no need to automatically allocate extra useless memory into it if your system doesn't need that much.