Suggestion InactiveResource Notification.

Discussion in 'Community Feedback and Suggestions' started by BrettPlayMC, Dec 7, 2018.

1. How's losing 9 RESOURCES WITHOUT WARNING?
    It's terrible.
    [​IMG]

2. MiniDigger

Supporter

You didn't loose them, you just did loose access to new updates that would not happen anyways since the resource in inactive.

3. Niall7459

Supporter

A lot of plugins, although unmaintained, will still be able to function on newer versions of MC, take PermissionsEx for example. So its handy to keep a copy if its removed from spigot.

4. Bump so this suggestion gets more feedback.

5. So if I write a plugin which properly uses the API, there's a pretty good chance it could work for years without any changes. The plugin was written to serve a purpose and it continues to serve its purpose. So why stigmatize it by calling it "inactive" and preventing new people from using it? It works as well as it ever did.

And forcing people to make nonsense updates to avoid having a perfectly fine plugin be deleted is just silly and counterproductive.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Not to argue, but the resources in question are only paid resources. Free ones are not affected by "Inactive Resource"

That being said, a paid resource that has been left for dead for a year or more should be dealt with.
    If you are posting a resource, charging people for it, there should be SOME kind of update, at LEAST once every 6 months.
    I know you aren't required to update the plugin, but heck, if I purchase a plugin off of you, you really should be updating it somewhat often.

If you go 6+ months without an update, it's moved to "Inactive Resource", that seems fair.
    After a year or so Spigot removes it. Now that part I do not 100% agree with, since a person paid for it and should ALWAYS have access to what they paid for.

I guess one could just argue that these inactive resources should not be removed, since like you said, it MAY still work for years to come.
    Free resources sit on this site forever, I feel abandoned paid resources should as well.
    Move them to inactive resource, disable purchasing (MAYBE add a little not at the top in big bold red "INACTIVE RESOURCE, PURCHASES DISABLED, ARCHIVED FOR PREVIOUS PURCHASERS")

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. in my opinion storage space is not the issue here as you can easily buy one for cheap even upto 1 terabyte of space.
    but removing obsolete data is a more favorable option for server performance reasons.
    I agree on the archiving option but only on the last updated file. as spigot has dropped support for lower server versions it is only logical to also start cleaning the plugins.
    if cleaning plugins is really needed then spigot can implement a system where update saves is limited to 5 or 10 so if the plugin update saves exceeds the maximum limit the oldest file will be deleted.
    Then theres the question of versioning support and my answer to this is many plugin supports multiple server versions in 1 jar.

I agree on the premium plugin notification on impending removal for authors and buyers as they totally deserves this.
    Plugin developers should consider implementing an auto updater in their plugins and have an option to enable it in config.
    For features that do not support older server version. developers can just disable this on plugin load.

well this is just my opinion.
    Disclaimer i do not own or have posted a premium plugin

8. Maximvdw

Benefactor

9. Just to add to this thread of just bumping it: The same system used to notify people when a resource is deleted for malicious purpose can be used for what I describe in the OP.

10. Generally I would agree with all the comments so far.
    Idealy the authors should mark their discontinued plugins as so and release the code to Github. (In respect to the community)

Maybe if the MC server version becomes more than so many versions behind the declared version. The author should be notified to confirm that the plugin is still under active development. and given a reasonable time in which to re-activate the availability of that plugin.

And if not replied to within this time span the plugin is downgraded to an inactive status.
    This would be applied to any plugin whether paid for or not.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I would actually appreciate an email notification.

12. Would really like to see this implemented. :)

13. That is a good idea.

• Like Like x 1