1. Guest, as per the stickied thread, this forum has not been in use since 2014. All bugs and feature requests should be posted to JIRA.

Bug Inconsistent periods of low tick with no discernible cause.

Discussion in 'Bugs & Feature Requests' started by ttk2, Dec 3, 2012.

1. With build #279 I have been experiencing a strange issue, there server will perform perfectly regardless of how many players are online holding a 20 tick, but then suddenly the tick will drop to somewhere in the 14-10 range with occasional dips below 10. As the server uptime continues these dips get slightly lower each time, starting in the 14's and going down to the 10's now at 4 hours uptime. In an equally unexplained event the server tick will instantaneously recover to a perfect 20 and sit there for a random period before returning to the problem outlined above.

I have tried enabling/disabling/changing versions of various plugins and sometimes it will have a slight effect, increasing the average tick during the low period by 1 or maybe 2, but since that is hardly a fraction of the tick lost none of them seem to be the source. Attempts at plugin profiling using Nolagg Examine trigger another bug I just reported so I am afraid I can not provide more exact info.

The randomness of when the issue is triggered as well as the ineffectual results of regular measures to find the cause of such a disturbance leads me to believe that there is something in Spigot that triggers this issue through a players action.

I should probably note that I am running with a view distance of 5 chunks as that has caused interesting issues in the past.

Thank you for your time.

2. Can try and use CPU polling VisualVM and see where exactly its dying.

3. can you run visual VM as a remote X window over SSH? I don't have a full desktop environment on my server and I would like to avoid the bloat if possible.

4. Make a JMX connection to the java process.
    http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/wip-analysis-of-your-server-jvm-using-visualvm.66536/
    Refer to that, OR

Get jstatd started up and add the three parameters to your startup file.
    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port\=3333 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl\=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate\=false

(You can change the jmxremote.port to something more secure if you want)

5. Puremin0rez

I hope someone finds the cause... This has been happening for all of 1.4 for me.

I have no idea about Vanilla bukkit, I haven't ran that in forever.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. No authentication? Are you freaking insane? If your server is at all large then leaving any sort of hole open to any script kid flipping through your ports is just asking to be chewed up and spit right back out.

What sort of auth options does it offer? Key based?

7. Both key and password based. Additionally, if security is a concern, it offers the ability to wrap the connection in SSL, if you do a little more configuration.

8. This bug seems to be fixed in #298 good work guys.