Intelligent Advertising

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by john01dav, Jun 1, 2015.

1. There are many advertising methods, from .org to Youtube to PMC. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses -- but none have the specific strength I need. I need intelligent players for a complex gamemode. The only thing I can think of to do is to try to find Youtubers with a more intelligent audience, but those Youtubers don't do server promotion.

2. Intelligent players? Erm, what? Please explain

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I mean players that can:
    - Read
    - Use critical thinking
    - Have patience
    - Use a forum
    - Be forgiving to administrative errors when appropriate
    - etc.

I've managed to get a few people on previous servers that fit that criteria. There must be some top secret place they are all in :p. Well, other than Spigot.

4. Tux

Tux

If you're looking for players who can bother using critical thinking skills, then I would suggest advertising on reddit (/r/mcservers) as most players there will be above-average compared to most players.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. I've tried to advertise on various reddit based lists before and found there were few players on those lists. Are there any players on /r/mcservers?

6. Tux

Tux

Yes, it's likely the most popular list on reddit in fact.

7. Ok, thanks. I'll make sure to have my server there.

To anyone else (or tux): Are there any other good methods to get intelligent players? I'd rather not have all of my eggs in one basket.

8. You could have a whitelisted server where players have to post a small application to join. That could definitely get rid of the unintelligent people.

9. I want this to be a public server. I do have have a greylist though where players most prove competence in-game. This thread is about where to find the intelligent players, not how to filter out the non intelligent ones.

10. JamesJ

Supporter

I think you're asking a little too much for 12 year olds (the average age of Minecraft players)

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Then I want some older players?

12. JamesJ

Supporter

Well I wish you good luck.
    Very few older players actually play theme anymore, they usually use this game for money- development, servers etc.
    And if they don't, the older players don't really watch YouTube videos not check server list site.
    Even if you did find some players, there wouldn't be many. It's better to accommodate for everyone, than a few.

Sources: a recent survey we conducted on DatPixrl, of which the results will not be made publicly available.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. If they don't do this, where do they discover where to play, or are they all just settled somewhere?

Also, I am personally in the game still for servers, etc. but this gamemode is basically a separate game (it has it's reasons for being in Minecraft) and I honestly can't wait to play it once it's finished. I'm sure I'm not the only one who could be "converted."

14. Ferx

Supporter

Aren't you asking for the perfect player?

Sounds like it to me if they can:
    - Read
    - Use critical thinking
    - Have patience
    - Use a forum
    - Be forgiving to administrative errors when appropriate
    - etc.

Good luck, :eek:

15. clip

Benefactor

I will live up to your high standards if you pay me to play.

16. Ill play, im 13 and fit your needs mostly ;)

17. I'm just more concerned with the quality of players rather than quantity. Most, if not all, currently established advertising methods are more concerned with quantity.

You're just one person. Thanks for the offer (and your welcome to join once it's ready) but I one person isn't really a community.

• Like Like x 1
  18. JamesJ

Supporter

I do wish you good luck; but from my experience you're going to have a hard time finding these types of players.
    And even if you do find these types of players, they'll know to much about Minecraft and be a pain. From my experience at least.

19. How could knowing too much be a pain?

20. My suggestion is give them an application where they create their own résumé (no questions or "feel in the blanks", just a plain old blank sheet of nothingness to test their organization, vocabulary, maturity, etc). Problem with this is most people are to lazy to create their own formatted application...unless you plan on paying them $ if they get the position -_-'