IPv6, do you use it?

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by RSNET-Radic, May 2, 2015.

1. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

Does anyone use IPv6 instead of IPv4 with their dedicated servers? I know it's still not widely deployed among ISPs, but there are literally thousands of v4 > v6 tunnels available free of charge that players can connect through.

It's also much harder to DDoS and there aren't many stressers that can do much damage via IPv6.

Just food for thought.

2. I like to host password-enabled SSH servers on IPv6's that haven't been used before, then not publicize it or use it for anything else, in case I need to access them from a machine without my SSH keys.

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

IPv6 in general is a sheer nightmare to port scan, since a basic /64 allocation that's given to a single server has 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 IPs.

Yes, that's PER SERVER! Pick one in the middle and I doubt anyone will ever find it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Psychz-Jimmy

Supporter

We’ve had IPv6 enabled for quite a while now and haven’t had much interest yet. I agreed that its better for security and absolutely more difficult to DDoS

5. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

Ditto, but we're seeing more and more traffic over IPv6 everyday.

6. No one wants to change, it's like everything. People know IPv4's and they are not sure about IPv6's so they just stick with IPv4's.

7. But IPv6 will have to take over some day. It's a slow, gradual change, but it will surely happen.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. It will happen for sure. But until people have to move to IPv6 I think they would rather just stay with what they know (IPv4).

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jflory7

jflory7 Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

My dilemma for Minecraft servers is that (last I checked) the Minecraft server and client do not have native support for IPv6, so for Minecraft purposes, using IPv6 is almost futile.

However, from a personal perspective, I am very intrigued and fascinated by it, and I plan on taking it up as a course of study over the next four years once I head up to Rochester this fall.

That's pretty clever. Never thought of doing that.

10. An IPv6 address would be a nightmare to remember. IPv4 is so much easier, just 4 simple numbers with three digits or less. I can already remember many IPv4 addresses for servers, but I doubt I would be able to remember an IPv6 address.

It's like with the minecraft username changes: it's almost impossible to remember that long string of random numbers and letters they call a UUID. I would much rather usernames, or even numbers, be the identifier for mojang accounts because they would be much easier to remember and therefore distinguish the integrity of users.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

You know that you can setup DNS records for IPv6 addresses as well. Something like mylongandcomplicatedipv6address.mycooldomain.com and have the AAAA record point to your IPv6 IP :)

12. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

Sometime in 2012, Minecraft did support IPv6, but not seeing anything on it now. Can someone give it a try?

If it doesn't work, maybe it's a feature that Spigot can integrate? @md_5

• Like Like x 2
  13. if my ISP turns on the multicast, i would use it...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

Do you mean dual stacking? Your OS would automatically use it as IPv6 DNS records take precedence over IPv4 records.

15. just a regular IP multicast not multicast DNS. I don't expect that to come from my ISP anytime soon...since they probably haven't figure out how to charge multicast traffic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

You can still use IPv6, even if your ISP hasn't gone live with it - https://tunnelbroker.net/

17. I would really like to know if IPv6 has ever worked in minecraft. On another note, bungeecord and spigot could implement IPv6 for backend connections between the two. However, since the vanilla client doesn't supoort IPv6, then adding it for that reason makes no sense.

18. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

Google it. From what I found, it did work sometime in 2012 - 2013, but was disabled afterwards.

19. Well even if it was disabled, it should still be present in older version.

20. jflory7

jflory7 Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

There's only one thing I have to say about that, in regards to IPv4:

Oh. Right. Forgot about those. But wouldn't an error occur in the Minecraft client when it attempts to resolve where the domain is pointing and gets an IPv6 address?

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. My ISP, BellSouth (now AT&T) is on DSL, and they don't take too kindly to IPv6 traffic. I've tried setting it up on my router multiple times but keep running into problems. I've resolved that I'll just tackle it again once I move to Rochester this August.

• Funny Funny x 1