Suggestion IRC off-topic channel?

Discussion in 'Community Feedback and Suggestions' started by XZo, Sep 22, 2013.

1. XZo

XZo

Hello all,

IRC is great and all, but it seems to me that the #Spigot channel is extremely unfocused and it reminds me of a early 2000 pre-teen chat room at times.

You can ask a spigot related question for it to be instantly sent to the depths of someones scroll buffer never to be seen again because there are 3-5 people talking about the latest My Little Pony and another handful of people who are discussing which operating system is best to power their sisters backup toaster.

Now I fully understand how IRC works, and people are not entitled to get their questions answered - but the problem is the majority of these questions never get seen because of the pretty high flow of offtopicness.

Also people that want to help others, cannot easily glance back to IRC and see the latest spigot things that they might of been able to help with.

So my suggestion is that the powers that be could consider enforcing a ontopic rule, and direct such unrelated conversation to a alternative #spigot-offtopic channel. I gather the increased workload of such a rule would be difficult to deal with, so perhaps a #spigot-ontopic channel could be considered instead.

Thanks for your time and consideration and sorry for being a buzzkill. :(

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. joehot200

Supporter

Yeah, i agree with this, IRC is too weird for me :confused:.
    Personally, i dont go on IRC any more. Every time i do, i seem to get into an argument or insult/flame war.
    Would be nice if i could talk about spigot without some irritating, annoying, mean, or plain confusion comments.
    That is why i stick to the forum :|

Edit: And i often don't know when people are joking and when they're not.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. joehot200

Supporter

^
    What i mean by wanting a spigot on-topic channel.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. It doesn't need to be on topic 24/7 or it will be like nazi germany just like in #bukkit and #bukkitdev.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. joehot200

Supporter

The problem is, there is 100% offtopic discussions that fill the whole chat the whole time, with virtually no ontopic discussion.

6. It is ontopic when it needs to be e.g When md_5 pushes something to the git or someone asks for help.

7. joehot200

Supporter

I suppose you have a point. I will however point out i have seen no discussions about server administration, performace tweaking, etc, Which i personally think is what IRC should be for.
    I suppose the forums can do that :p.

8. columb

Supporter

May be we could have separated channel for spigot support instead? Something clean and focused on support? Everything else should remain in #spigot. Even offtopic ;)

9. joehot200

Supporter

#Ontopic instead of #Offtopic? Sounds nice.
    Or #Support?
    Might be a good idea. Unsure if people would reply to it tho. (Like people might forget to look at it)

10. columb

Supporter

Something like #spigot-support or so. Yea.
    This only means that people will have to wait for support a bit longer. But it's increases their chance to get help if they wait enough.

11. Puremin0rez

Oh come on you don't have to be so rude.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Whenever I have a question that really needs to be answered, or someone else does. The chat will go to that topic for the time being.

13. AlexM850

Patron

The channel pretty well answers most questions that people ask. Regardless if there are other discussions going on pretty much all questions are answered. If they aren't answered, it's either because people don't have the time to, they are afk/away in IRC, or they are busy doing something else. There's no need for another channel regarding this.

14. AlexM850

Patron

This has nothing to do with regarding a spigot on topic channel.

15. joehot200

Supporter

I was just saying that things like that happen in the #spigot channel.

16. [Autism intensifies]

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. It's joehot200 i shall be very rude.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  18. Plis

19. XZo

XZo

So what operating system is best for my sisters backup toaster, guys?

20. joehot200

Supporter

Haven't you heard of the new Bread OS? It is thought to be ideal for toasters. A "Tasty" operating system.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1