1. Guest, as per the stickied thread, this forum has not been in use since 2014. All bugs and feature requests should be posted to JIRA.

Is Netty being used?

Discussion in 'Bugs & Feature Requests' started by Johnne25, Aug 8, 2013.

1. I read some good things about Netty and would like to make sure I am taking advantage of it for my Minecraft server. From what I read (on disabling it) I should be looking for a line like this:
    "netty is using x threads.."

I do not see that in my console at all.

How can I tell if Netty is being used?

My spigot.yml file has this section in it:
    settings:
    netty-threads: 3
    log-filters:
    - ^(.*)(/login)(.*)$
    bungeecord-addresses:
    bungeecord: false
    timeout-time: 60
    restart-on-crash: true
    restart-script: ./start.bat
    prevent-proxies: false

I am running my Minecraft server on a Windows 7 computer.

2. LiLChris

LiLChris Retired Moderator
    Retired

It is enabled by default, unless you have something in your script to disable it.

3. So users who have it enabled can't tell and users who disable it can't tell

4. joehot200

Supporter

Unless you have this in your start script, your server is using netty. Players cannot turn on/off netty.
    -Dorg.spigotmc.netty.disabled=true

5. I do not think that is used anymore. Spigot now has it in spigot.yml and each bind address can specify whether to use netty or not (so you actually can do both, 1 port netty, one port not netty)

6. I think all what @Johnne25 wants is a notification in the console/server.log that netty has been successfully enabled or not?

7. Correct.

From what was reading it looks as though there was an entry in the console indicated it was enabled and how many threads it was assigned. Users who disabled it were told that if that console entry was not displayed then Netty was successfully turned off.

Since I am no seeing this entry in the console any longer I have no idea if its been enabled or not.

8. joehot200

Supporter

users cant disable netty...

9. I think he means "users" such as spigot server users instead of players that actually play on that server? Not sure.

@Johnne25 Yea I noticed that also. I remember that Spigot used to have a little log on startup that told the owner the amount of netty threads and if its enabled or not. Makes sense to me having such a little log indicator again, could be really helpful for quick debugging.