Is Spigot legal to use?

Discussion in 'Spigot Help' started by Dinorawrus, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, I heard bukkit was shut down due to some legal issues. Isn't spigot like the same as bukkit, can I use spigot legally? I'm a newby :p

Thank you, much appreciated for the replies.

2. FBIs won't break into your room and get you arrested so chill :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. JamesJ

Supporter

Yes, it is.

4. Thats what they told you to say, isn't it?

Edit: Of Course it's legal. lel

5. joehot200

Supporter

Actually, it isn't. You are compiling code which infringes someone else's intellectual copyright, therefore technically making it illegal.

Except that realistically, nobody is going to do anything about it. "Oh hi police! There are over a million people using my work, and I have no idea where they are!" - The police would just laugh at you.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. I just need proof to why its legal, if it's not then I wont use it :p

7. joehot200

Supporter

Spigot does not offer direct download links. That's because it would be illegal for them to do so, and they were threatened with legal action if they didn't take the download links down.

If they offer a software that allows you to compile the code, instead of them compiling the code and giving you a download, then the infringement is on you, the specific user, and not on them, meaning that they technically cannot be liable.

8. JamesJ

Supporter

You've got a choice:
    1. Use Spigot, run a server.
    2. Don't use Spigot, you can only run vanilla. Talk about being strict..

9. YUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ITS ALL THE TIME LEGAL BY BUILDTOOLS!

10. jflory7

jflory7 Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

Thread locked

For the sake of repetitiveness and avoiding cyclical discussions that we had for months right after the DMCA, the thread has been locked – you can read through this forum for more information.

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.