Is starting of with Spigot API a good way to learn Java?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Ajony, Oct 7, 2019.

1. I've been wondering now a long time, if Spigot is a good or efficient way to learn Java. I always wanted to code minecraft plugins. So I just searched on Youtube for tutorials. And I dont know if that was the smartest way to learn coding. I don't know how I could learn Java efficient. Maybe I should follow an online course or search on the web.

Could you guys describe maybe how you started off learning coding? I think that would help me the most.

2. No, learn java first THEN move onto spigot, it's going to be much easier

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. What would you think is the best way to learn it. Should I follow an online course?

4. I personally used and (there's some issues in some of the videos, but the comments point these out) and a lot of self learning

5. I started off by learning the spigot API first, I did have some experience with other languages but it honestly wasn't that bad and I've transitioned to be able to do normal Java and other applications later on and I don't think it's slowed me down much (it did have a steep learning curve at first). If you don't mind learning the actual language first then do that, a lot of people recommend it, but if that bores you and you just want to get "stuck in" then go ahead.

If you do jump straight in, try and avoid making forum posts about quite simple things, be proactive and stick to reading stack overflows, watching youtube tutorials etc. You will be flamed if you make a newbie mistake on this forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Alright, thnx for your help

7. Thank you, people can flame all that want to other people. Its quite sad. Most of them judge eachother to fast if someone asks a newbie question.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. People are gonna tell you to go over the books or tutorials or whatever, but screw them. If you're someone who jumps right in, jump right in. If MC plug-ins is what you wanna do then start with the Spigot API.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. If you're going to jump right in, don't bother making threads.
    Most of them will just be things you'd know if you learned java first

10. I hate to disagree, but this isn't inherently true for everyone. Not to mention, learning Spigot related things isn't the same as learning Java as a whole. Better put, learning how Spigot works is not the same as learning basic Java.

I personally learned the 2 side by side. I wanted to get into programming, and since I was so interested in Minecraft, I thought that Spigot (well, Bukkit back then ;)) might be a good place to start. You do have to learn a little bit of the basics of Java before going straight to Spigot, but by basics I mean bare-bone basics. What methods are, what's a variable, how is Java typed. Realistically, you could learn that by looking over code done by other Spigot developers, too.

Whatever suits your learning style, go for it. I hate when people tell, "Read the books," or, "Go read the documentation first" because that's not how I learn best. I learn best by doing, and it very likely can be the same for others :)

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Point is.
    If you didn't learn java first then don't bother asking how to do x java thing (looping through a list for example).
    If you jump RIGHT into spigot without learning the basics of java first, you'll end up with threads like this, this or even this

12. I really wouldn't recommend reading code for some random MC plugin and basing your "good code" standards on that.
    There's hundreds (if not thousands) of badly written plugins out there. Such plugins might even function as intended, but their logic is often difficult to follow and the make most (if not all) of the mistakes covered in Beginner Programming Mistakes and Why You're Making Them.
    For a novice, it's not necessarily apparent which code is written well. If you learn a bad habit, it's difficult to get rid of it.

I would personally say anyone should learn (at the very least) the basics of java before jumping into plugin development. Familiarity with another programming language will make this quite fast.

As for the "flaming newbies" aspect, people fail to read [READ ME] For everyone asking questions on here. thread in the Spigot Plugin Development section. It clearly states:

13. Never said that it should be any random plugin. Ideally, and logically, you'd want to look at the code of a well-known plugin by a well-known developer.

14. I’d avoid using logic to back up your arguments, most new developers usually don’t factor it in when they’re learning/working.

15. I would just play around with java basics, there is a lot you can do with java and the spigot api is pretty limited.

16. Do you have previous programming experience in an other (object oriented) programming language? Then starting with the spigot api would be fine. If not: do your self a favour and learn java first.

17. First, you should study Java

18. In the case that you have the work ethic for it, to sit down, and learn a programming language without getting bored, then learn Java first, otherwise you should do the path I took for every single one of the languages I've learned to date, including Java.

I always started out by going on YouTube, codecademy, and various other learning resources in order to learn how to write in a language, but I'd get bored. It isn't until I need and want something enough to be able to sit down and just start writing code in order to make it, and boy- do they start out BAD. However, over time, and with the more projects you create with the use of StackOverflow in order to learn new ways of doing things, you really can improve.

People here are perfectionists, and they followed a specific task in which they learned a language first, and they will bash anyone who doesn't do that because it usually is a relatively bad idea, but for me, if I didn't do that, I wouldn't know a single damn language. Second, they always get annoying people posting in the forums asking for help when they mess something up as simple as a for loop, or reading error logs. It gets annoying to constantly have to copy a single line out of a simple stack trace, and show it to a person. When it's literally in English and they don't know what it means, people get really frustrated.

Learn in your own way, know when to ask the community for help, and you'll be good.

19. Yes I agree you. First java than Spigot