Is this PC good enough?

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by sTeel8, Jan 9, 2020.

?

Is this Dell Optiplex PC good enough for my server?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Yes, with a RAM upgrade to 16 GB

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. No

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Hello!

I'm looking for a new PC to host a survival Spigot server. The server is for friends only and has around 5-10 players online simultaneously.

The PC currently hosting the server is an old PC with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, 2 gigs of DDR2 RAM and a 250 GB HDD. The OS is Ubuntu Server 18.04.3 LTS. The Minecraft server performance is really bad - exploring often causes the server to run 10 000 - 100 000 ms behind or even crash, and being 5+ players online makes the game basically unplayable. No other servers except for TeamSpeak 3 are running at the same time on the server computer. The server properties are mostly set to defaults (render distance is 10) and the plugins are the following:
    • ActionBarAPI
    • AdvancedBan
    • CoreProtect
    • Minecart_Speedplus (custom fork I did)
    • OpenInv
    • SimpleBackup
    I'm using the following Java arguments for the server:
    -Xmx1536M -Xms1024M -XX:+UseG1GC -jar

Vanilla Minecraft server was unplayable (last tried 1.13), Spigot performance was better but still not so great (last tried 1.14), Paper Spigot works best but still has bad performance.

I can't recall seeing the CPU temperature exceed 60 °C (140 °F), so I don't think overheating is a problem.

So I found this used Dell Optiplex computer with the following specs:
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 – 3,2GHz
    RAM: 8192MB DDR3
    Disk: 500GB SATA (probably mechanical)

It only costs around $160 - do you think it's enough for this Minecraft server? Will 5-15 players be able to play without lag? The PC seems to support 16 GB RAM, so I can upgrade the RAM if needed.

// sTeel8

2. This might be irrelevant but why don't you just get a host? You can get away with like $3-$5/month maximum for the number of players you have. Also, Spigot 1.14x is utter garbage, try staying away from that version.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. On the hosting pages I've visited, 8+ GB of RAM was pretty expensive ($12+/month), as 2-4 GB seems insufficient due to my experience with my current server PC. Also, I prefer a one-time fee for a computer rather than a monthly fee.

4. I guess the main thing is because you get 24/7 support from that hosting service and you can have backups, etc etc, If something goes wrong.

5. As said above, 4GB of RAM should be more than enough as I've run servers with over 50 players and had 6GB of RAM. There's also electricity bills to pay for your own machines, I still recommend looking into shared hosting, could potentially be much cheaper.

6. Renting a dedicated server nor a VPS is in several situations cheaper as if you live on your own you would have to pay the internet & electricity bill.

7. That's a pretty old processor, but it will probably work. A bigger question is what's your Internet speed?

8. DavidDevelops

Supporter

So, first off, 2-3GB is PLENTY enough to host such a small server (Id still upgrade to 1.15 as 1.14 is really bad in performance, Not exactly sure why but Always heard it was and never used it myself to verify)
    The main problem is the processor on the new one is old, and the ram on your current one is old (DDR 2?? I haven't seen that in forever... DDR 3 is lowest you should use)
    Overall for that $160 isn't bad and shouldn't lag at all, The main problem is are you SURE its the server lagging and crashing and not your internet? You might want to make sure you can support that many players on your internet first BEFORE buying a new server (One way off the top of my head to do this is just stress test your internet or run the server on your better pc and see if 10 players can connect)
    Like I said though, If it was me, I'd buy the $160 server and upgrade the processor to something new and be golden

9. That's an LGA 1155 motherboard, so he's limited to Sandy Bridge (2nd gen) and Ivy Bridge (3rd gen). The 3470 is already Ivy Bridge, so he's not going to get a newer processor. I guess he could get an i7, but it wouldn't be worth the time, effort, or money.

10. Measured Internet speed on the server computer is 92.74 Mbit/s download and 11.55 Mbit/s upload - which should be enough right?

11. You could handle 30 players max.

Put a 64-bit OS on it, set Spigot to use a 4 GB heap, and you'll be fine.

I would NOT suggest playing MC on that machine at the time time. Use it just as a server.

EDIT: Gahh! 64 bits OS, not 32!

#11 Bobcat00, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  12. DavidDevelops

Supporter

Download is fine... But that upload is absurdly low, I can't speak perfectly for a servers but that isn't really that great, thats nearly just 1.2mb per player with 10 players on, I haven't seen less than 50 mb/s upload for a server before though, I'll have to leave someone with better and more experience to answer this,

13. I home hosted a server with up to 14 people with an older processor and 8 Mbps upload.

14. The optiplex should be capable. I would switch out that harddrive for a SSD though

15. Switching things on Dell systems is always tricky. Dell uses lots of proprietary, trailing edge technology. I recall that even some USB keyboards wouldn't work with Dell.

(And I fixed my post above to say use a 64 bit OS!)

16. The only real problem with dell propriarity things are machines with a awful psu and not being to use normal cpu coolers due to the cpu fan pinout. Replacing hdds is not a problem. Tested personally with a samsung 860 evo a while back

#16 CustomEnchants, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  17. It will probably work, but why don‘t you go to a host. In most cases this is even cheaper than your electricity bill at the end of the month

18. You have 8GB of RAM but you cant use it all. Windows and other programmes take a lot of it. And for 10-15 players with only 6 plugins should be fine if you have a server that has 2GB (1.12.2 or below) and 3GB (1.13 and above)

19. The optiplex itself is a pretty nice deal I was looking at some similar ones the other day. What I did recently, though, was purchase a server, which cost me $144.

- Dual Xeon E5645 CPUs, 12 cores @ 2.4Ghz
    - 32GB DDR3 ECC RAM
    - 500GB SAS HDD

Add me on Discord if you're looking to find where I bought it. It's a little noisy but it serves its purpose well.