Jar String Editor | Translate any plugin in your browser.

Discussion in 'Programming' started by DevLeeo, Apr 15, 2017.

1. #1 DevLeeo, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    • Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. if only all devs added customizable messages in a config

3. WAS

WAS

Sometimes people just don't want their jars in certain regions hands. For example, everything in RU is shared, regardless of "Premium" lol

This also provides a means to conflict with licenses by changing watermarks and other copyright information.

4. Choco

I see this as being a way to circumvent premium resource anti-piracy by swapping out a %%__USER__%% String field with a user that purchased the resource.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Maybe i just have a love of messing with minds, but i would like to see someone use this on the string encryption i am experimenting with. It is a little.. uh.. insane, and not as all a problem to performance.
    On the other side, more things really should load their messages from files.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. WAS

WAS

And that, didn't even think about that. Not only the end-user license but the purchasers license.

7. Choco

Oh I'm not worried about the ToS put in place by the author. Those mean absolutely nothing unless backed by legal action, which most users cannot actually provide. They typically come running to us expecting to enforce the ToS that aren't actually enforced by Spigot, which is no bueno. I'm more concerned that people are going to start complaining that their resources are getting cracked and coming to us to fix it :p That, and it's always a shame to see peoples hard work get distributed for free

8. WAS

WAS

That's what I meant? Lol purchasers license. Not as in "ToS" and I'm not sure how a License is a ToS, it is actually legally binding, and can be processed in court for about 145 dollars (have filed about 16 of these in over a decade). No lawyers needed (well unless the judge has a public defender do a DMCA).

This should not be allowed unless it has explicit information about using it for these means. Maybe even a means of injecting a watermark that it has been processed by Jar String Editor.

9. md_5

Administrator Developer

Is this done with an actual jar parser client side?
    Thats pretty cool.

10. WAS

WAS

I wonder which one though. Had terrible luck with jcore. It may just open the archive and straight edit un-encoded strings. I did that once with Essentials for a string that was bugging crap out of me. Forgot the program that let me edit the compiled files.

11. #11 DevLeeo, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. WAS

WAS

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks :D

14. The problem is that you can't apply rules that contradict laws, and I'm pretty sure that you're allowed to modify premium plugins, as long as it's for personal use (I'd include "running it on your own server" as personal). (I'd like to see a court denying that, lol)

15. WAS

WAS

Thats naturally granted. However in this instance we'd be talking about somone who has not purchased it and has no right to do anything with it personally or otherwise.

For example B gets it from A but A is the only purchaser and A tells B to change any identifiers. Or B is public with non-registered information as a purchaser and cannot provide details of the purchase.

And a lot of premium resources allow no alterations of any sort in their valid 3rd party licenses held up in court.

16. md_5

Administrator Developer

I don't want to turn this into a legal discussion (cf rules), but in general you can bind yourself to any legal contract (contrast legality of contract vs contract which removes statutory rights). Many jurisdictions have statutory rights allowing such modifications, but comparatively few make it illegal to revoke them via contract.

Public defenders are for criminal cases.

17. WAS

WAS

Sorry, I meant public official, as in the bloke (usually a public defender though, as they take most public duties, the ones you find outside the court house for free advise) that writes up the DMCA on court order. Semantic knit picking aside. Most jurisdictions actually leave it to the contract you signed. For example the new "report your friend (business) for using illegal software" trend, offering you cash for reporting illegal software so they can rake in the $$$. This is HUGE here in WA State. As, if they are making profit (most minecraft servers ever) they are seriously across the line. And a lot of licenses do not allow alterations, and perfectly acceptable under US, and most countries laws. You agreed to it. For example gag orders are usually done by a court, and seen as unethical via 3rd party contract, yet seen in about every contract ever of consequence like my MS contract, and previous for Boeing. Because I signed it, I gave away my rights protecting me from entities giving me gag orders. :p

For example my friend had a old site to null IPB. Was all fine until he put up a donation gateway for his many other services. Than he had a DMCA to remove it specifically as it, 1) altered a licensed software without a license 2) stripped licenses from said software. Now what if the person owns their IPB and just wants to strip the licensing mechanisms? They can't, as per the license without the next-tier license to do so. Whether because of donations, or not, he can't just edit another software, especially if it can be used to null licenses (or identifiers)

The biggest example: I know A gave B my plugin. My plugin is protected by it's license, including modifications, and I know B used Jar String Editor (whether by admission or other proof). I know my licensed plugin has passed through Jar String Editor and can target it as a means to an end regardless of any disclaimers Jar String Editor may have. Now if this was downloaded and ran by the end-user, totally different story.

#17 WAS, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017