Java 10 Is it preferable to create with?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by _aero98, Jul 5, 2018.

1. So Is it preferable to create with? this is my question..

Alots of changes.. but its better create a project and enroll with this?..

What do you think about this ?, I just opened java investigate a little but I want to know more .. I would like you to comment.

Regards

2. I personally would, regardless of how many people still run Java 8.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I'm personally waiting for Java 11 since that one will be LTS, which neither Java 9 nor Java 10 is.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. I would wait for Java 11

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. I have always built my plugins on Java 8 based on the metrics on my plugins. It seems as if everyone who uses my plugin 'Quests' is still using Java 8, so if I were to build on a high java version I'd get a lot of bug reports from people not knowing about Java 9/10.

6. @FrostedSnowman what's funny about my post?

7. Choco

No one will upgrade if you don't make the change. This is an endless cycle of "I won't update my version of Java because my clients use an older version, but my clients won't update because I use an older version". Someone has to make the first step and more often than not, it's the developer. I was considering updating to Java 10 for all my plugins in 1.13.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. FrostedSnowman

Resource Staff

exactly. as plugin developers, i feel we can greatly impact and influence the usage of the latest software to server owners and host providers. really, i don't get the sense in running something that isn't up to date.

9. I wouldn't bother take a look at how long some hosts took to even switch to java 8

10. Choco

If your host isn't updating to the latest stable version of Java, you should consider switching hosts. Java 9 was released nearly over a year ago (July 27th, 2017) so if anything, 9 should most definitely be present on all hosting systems. Hosts will not update unless pressured to do so, which is rather pathetic, but it's the truth. If we as plugin developers can force hosts to upgrade, we should. If they refuse, switch hosts. They're putting their users at risk by running out of date software.

We've gotten the clear from md_5 that Spigot will function with Java 10 perfectly fine, so there's no excuse not to update your plugins and hosts.

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. I'm not using any regular minecraft host and will likely never will be again neither have I in the past few years.
    For my test servers I use a vps running java 8 update 171.

12. FrostedSnowman

Resource Staff

then it doesn't concern you. and i hope you stay up to date as more significant changes are made in the new jdk releases

• Like Like x 1
  13. That's not a problem with hosts, it's a worldwide problem: just think that the program used to do the tax declaration is still running on Java 7. Like WTF.

14. Choco

Java is forwards compatible. You can very-well run a program written in Java 8 on a Java 10 JVM. You cannot, however, run a Java 10 program on a Java 8 JVM. In the case of Minecraft servers, it is at the fault of the server hosting company for not updating their software. Whether tax companies still want to run on Java 7 or not is completely irrelevant. For Minecraft, it is at the fault of the hosts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. I think you don't get my point: I'm trung to say that not just hosts should upgrade but everyone should

16. Choco

Oh yes, I'm very much aware. But again I say:
    We won't ever get anywhere if developers don't start bumping up their version. Someone has to start, and it's going to have to be developers.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hmmm but what would be the difference if the 11, because not occupy java 9 or 10 now? ...

18. Ohh okay i got it,then there would be no problem

19. Because getting people to switch from Java 7 to Java 8 was already difficult enough. And now that Java follows a six-month update cycle this will become even more difficult. I'd rather wait for a version with LTS every one and a half year and then force everyone to update than force them to update to a new version every six months. This also reduces the amount of work required to make use of the new features; instead of having to update my project every six months to apply the new changes, I can do all of them in bulk every one and a half year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Absolutely not, Java 9 was EOL'd in March 2018. Hosts should run Java 8 (which is LTS) or Java 10.

• Like Like x 4