Java tweak for CPU's with 4+ cores (8 threads).

Discussion in 'Performance Tweaking' started by zyxep, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Hello there.

Many cpu's today has 4 cores and 8 threads or over.
    do you guys have some tweak guides to get better performence from java under linux.

I'm thinking enable settings in the kernel and such.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Use Java7 and that's all you need to do.

Java7 was designed to just "work best out of the box". All of the best optimizations are enabled by default, so simply start with -Xmx -Xms -jar and you're good to go.

3. What about -XX:+UseLargePages

That is defined in that launch.sh i found in here.

and i did some reseach because i got an error, and i had do enable something in the kernel, but i didn't research deeper.

4. That is something you can tweak yeah, but I can't say if it affects performance much or not.

5. Jigsaw

Supporter

I wouldn't mess with any options unless you are going to actually record and compare the gain/loss of each change. If you don't know what a flag does then you probably shouldn't use it.
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/tech/largememory-jsp-137182.html

6. What about -Xingc?

7. PhanaticD

Patron

Xingc: Enable the incremental garbage collector. The incremental garbage collector, which is off by default, will eliminate occasional garbage-collection pauses during program execution. However, it can lead to a roughly 10% decrease in overall GC performance.

I am using large pages on my servers and it seems to be running quite well

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Chuck loading needs to become multi threaded.

9. md_5

Administrator Developer

It is since about build 290...

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Sway

Artist Supporter

Fixed.
    Does 290+ have the NMS change? I honestly have been too busy with stuff to even bother paying attention.. also are any of these builds recommended to those running on their main server? I can't deal with broken stuff right now :<

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Chuck norris would use time travel loading.

12. PhanaticD

Patron

chuck norris has his render distance on "the whole map"

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Chuck Norris doesn't need to render, he knows where everything is.
    He plays games and win with his computer off and unplugged.