Jave version

Discussion in 'Programming' started by KingTux, May 12, 2016.

?

which java version

1. Java 6

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Java 7

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Java 8

20 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. which java version is the best 6 or 7 or 8.

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. I go with Java 7.

3. MiniDigger

Supporter

why would one use not the latest?

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. The latest version of Java will always be the best version. It isn't EOL'd, security patches will happen, and it will always have the most up to date Java practices involved from the new features.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. There's not a single reason why you would 'prefer' Java 7.
    In my opinion this thread is bullshit.

6. I changed my mind I go with Java 8

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. The latest is always the best. I love Java 8's lambdas, they're a step in the right direction (which is the not-so-verbose direction). Still most of my plugins are compiled in Java 6 for backwards compability.

8. Can I ask why you would ever 'prefer' to use an outdated version? You aren't loosing anything by using the latest version (except backwards compatibility if you are talking about compilation).

9. MiniDigger

Supporter

not realy true, you can set the target version to 1.7 when using 1.8

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. There is no reason not to use the newest version except laziness or incompetence, unless there is some sort of unresolved bug or issue in the newer version.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Yup. Sounds about right.

12. Your name fits this thread so appropriately.

13. I use Java 8, but to compile software, you should always use the minimum requirements. If you don't need Java 8, compile against Java 7. If you don't need the internals, compile against the API. If you don't need any Spigot API code, compile against Bukkit. It's always the same principle. 1 / 3 of the servers still use Java 7. They probably don't know how to update or have limited possibilities because of their hosters. That's why I try to stick with Java 7 for my plugins if possible. Besides that, Java 8 JavaDocs changes are just annoying. I think I'll always generate my docs with 7...